The Student Room Group

iPad Pro vs MacBook Pro for students

Okay, so I'm saving money for one of these two when I start uni this September.

Anyone got any opinions on which one is better and why?

Heck, if you have any other suggestions for better devices, throw them in too.

If it helps, I'm doing a biomed course.

Scroll to see replies

And iPad isn’t very practical laptops usually have way more space on them and easier to type you can also use a usb on a laptop cannot on a Mac
MACBOOK!!! - you wouldn't regret it!
Original post by Foreverconfu
And iPad isn’t very practical laptops usually have way more space on them and easier to type you can also use a usb on a laptop cannot on a Mac

It's not practical but if I full on invest on an iPad Pro then I'd get the pen and the keyboard with it too.

And thanks for the USB point; didn't think of that
Original post by dreamfyre
MACBOOK!!! - you wouldn't regret it!

Ahahaha thanks man...but can I ask why you'd pick a macbook over the ipad?
Original post by MarshmallowStars
It's not practical but if I full on invest on an iPad Pro then I'd get the pen and the keyboard with it too.

And thanks for the USB point; didn't think of that

iPads have awful battery life’s too haha
Reply 6

I suggest you get a windows computer, like a HP or something that has both touchscreen and laptop features, so you get the best of both worlds. :biggrin:
besides, it's cheaper. if you're keen on apple products, i suggest going with the macbook. I feel an ipad is more for gaming and other non-work-y stuff but then again, that's just my opinion :tongue:
Original post by Foreverconfu
iPads have awful battery life’s too haha

oooo...fair enough ahaha.

Are you suggesting a non-apple device then?
Ahahaha thanks man...but can I ask why you'd pick a macbook over the ipad?

honestly, the mac has so much more functionality, not only you would be able to do everything an iPad does, but more! You can use even advance applications like photoshop etc. I mean you can get a baseline mac the same price now a days. They're pretty much both portable and a Mac will always hold it's value. It's all about functionality! I am at uni and mainly everyone has a laptop, there'll b the occasional ppl who have an iPad but they also have a laptop xD

I bought an iPad and i've never used it, in my eyes it's pretty much pointless but that's for me, everyone is different xD.
Original post by nyxnko_
I suggest you get a windows computer, like a HP or something that has both touchscreen and laptop features, so you get the best of both worlds. :biggrin:
besides, it's cheaper. if you're keen on apple products, i suggest going with the macbook. I feel an ipad is more for gaming and other non-work-y stuff but then again, that's just my opinion :tongue:

That's true. I'm no gamer so that's a good point. Thing is, if I get a pen then I could write down my notes and stuff.

That's what I really like about the iPad. Having said that a macbook is an actual laptop so I have no idea which I'd pick
Original post by dreamfyre
honestly, the mac has so much more functionality, not only you would be able to do everything an iPad does, but more! You can use even advance applications like photoshop etc. I mean you can get a baseline mac the same price now a days. They're pretty much both portable and a Mac will always hold it's value. It's all about functionality! I am at uni and mainly everyone has a laptop, there'll b the occasional ppl who have an iPad but they also have a laptop xD

I bought an iPad and i've never used it, in my eyes it's pretty much pointless but that's for me, everyone is different xD.

Ahhh true true...tysm!!
That's true. I'm no gamer so that's a good point. Thing is, if I get a pen then I could write down my notes and stuff.

That's what I really like about the iPad. Having said that a macbook is an actual laptop so I have no idea which I'd pick

the thing is, if you think like that, you'll eventually think: why don't I get a keyboard as well ? but then why didn't you just get the laptop in the first place?
i still good old fashioned pen and paper is the way to go for notes :yep:
in the end, it's up to you :biggrin:
Reply 12

If you just want it for lectures and other simple tasks I got an Asus UX410 (ultrabook? I forget). Works perfectly for lectures and course work with over 10 hour battery life.

Also doing Biomed.
You generally want a laptop of some kind over a tablet. In my experience the typing takes longer, and it objectively has less space and a lower battery life. If it's gonna be solely for lecture stuff and the odd youtube video you'll do just as well to get a cheap-ish windows laptop. Given the choice between those two tho I'd take the macbook.

Ofc you could just handwrite all your notes. It's usually far easier in my experience to just pull a notebook out than it is to start up a laptop every lecture.
Original post by nyxnko_
the thing is, if you think like that, you'll eventually think: why don't I get a keyboard as well ? but then why didn't you just get the laptop in the first place?
i still good old fashioned pen and paper is the way to go for notes :yep:
in the end, it's up to you :biggrin:

Man you've made a good point about the keyboard thing. :tongue:

It's just that the iPad is touchscreen (and has a pen).
I know I will forever be a pen and paper person when it comes to notes but I'm just trying to be a bit more eco-friendly in not using so MUCH paper; I swear, I had like 10 trees worth of paper when I was revising for my A-Levels.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You generally want a laptop of some kind over a tablet. In my experience the typing takes longer, and it objectively has less space and a lower battery life. If it's gonna be solely for lecture stuff and the odd youtube video you'll do just as well to get a cheap-ish windows laptop. Given the choice between those two tho I'd take the macbook.

Ofc you could just handwrite all your notes. It's usually far easier in my experience to just pull a notebook out than it is to start up a laptop every lecture.

Ahhh...that's true, that's true.

Thanks for your input! :biggrin:
Man you've made a good point about the keyboard thing. :tongue:

It's just that the iPad is touchscreen (and has a pen).
I know I will forever be a pen and paper person when it comes to notes but I'm just trying to be a bit more eco-friendly in not using so MUCH paper; I swear, I had like 10 trees worth of paper when I was revising for my A-Levels.

true true
I guess in the end, it's the fact that you feel like you're writing when you use the pen and iPad that appeals to you.
see how much you manage to save and then go from there because a MacBook pro does tend to be quite a bit more expensive than the iPad (may be wrong ;p)
Original post by nyxnko_
true true
I guess in the end, it's the fact that you feel like you're writing when you use the pen and iPad that appeals to you.
see how much you manage to save and then go from there because a MacBook pro does tend to be quite a bit more expensive than the iPad (may be wrong ;p)

Ahhh thank you! Honestly, you’ve given me a lot to think about :smile:
Ahhh thank you! Honestly, you’ve given me a lot to think about :smile:

sorry if I've made you even more confused :colondollar:
I guess there's just a lot to consider when you're buying gadgets
for a student. the ipad is really good for art students but other than that go for the mac

Quick Reply

Latest