The Student Room Group

MP reads out list of 100 women killed by men.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Domestic abuse really isn't a gendered issue, women may more frequently be the victims, but of the estimated 1.9m victims over 700,000 are male based on the CSEW, it is only when you shift over to looking solely at recorded crime figures that it starts to appear particularly gendered. Interestingly age changes the gender gap, the older men are the more likely they are to be victims, this is also true of women until they're about 30 at which point their chance of being a victim declines.

There are lots of other interesting statistics in this report, including that 13% of the time death of females from domestic violence is almost immediately followed by the suicide of the killer, and that over a quarter of the time that domestic violence prosecutions fail it's either because the victim retracted their accusation, or inconsistent testimony of the alleged victim without retraction. Another nearly 30% is because the alleged victim didn't bother turning up in court.

We also see that of all domestic homicides where the primary suspect is male the victim is more likely to be male than the victim of a female domestic homicide being female. Also that in the two years covered 8 of the 11 instances of a female killing a female were cases of mother killing daughter

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Whilst CSEW figures reflect the fact that women are disproportionatly impacted by the issue, it can't take into account the under-reported nature of the topic or even the extent of the issue because of the way they are interpreted.

I think it's also important at looking at the topic itself. When women are more likely to experience more violence attacks than men would face from women in relationships, when men are much more likely to be defendants in court cases than women, when women are far more likely to be killed by their partners, when men are more likely to be repeat offenders.

Of course, these are impacted by the fact that men are less likely to report domestic abuse and the nature of the crime itself, but I fail to see why we can't just say that as opposed to immediately attempting to almost equalize the extent to which the issue both impacts men and women.
Reply 21
Original post by Conceited
I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Whilst CSEW figures reflect the fact that women are disproportionatly impacted by the issue, it can't take into account the under-reported nature of the topic or even the extent of the issue because of the way they are interpreted.

I think it's also important at looking at the topic itself. When women are more likely to experience more violence attacks than men would face from women in relationships, when men are much more likely to be defendants in court cases than women, when women are far more likely to be killed by their partners, when men are more likely to be repeat offenders.

Of course, these are impacted by the fact that men are less likely to report domestic abuse and the nature of the crime itself, but I fail to see why we can't just say that as opposed to immediately attempting to almost equalize the extent to which the issue both impacts men and women.

This study suggests that’s is mostly reciprocal and that while men are more likely to inflict an injury women are more likely to use acts of physical aggression and to use them more frequently
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/the-psychiatrist/article/domestic-violence-is-most-commonly-reciprocal/C5432B0C6F8F61B49A4E2B60B931FA07

This study shows that in 49.3% of relationships which have domestic violent it is reciprocal and when it is non-reciprocal the violent partner is female 70% of the time
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/
Original post by Joep95
This study suggests that’s is mostly reciprocal and that while men are more likely to inflict an injury women are more likely to use acts of physical aggression and to use them more frequently
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/the-psychiatrist/article/domestic-violence-is-most-commonly-reciprocal/C5432B0C6F8F61B49A4E2B60B931FA07

This study shows that in 49.3% of relationships which have domestic violent it is reciprocal and when it is non-reciprocal the violent partner is female 70% of the time
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1854883/

Mmm. Not quite sure what you're trying to say. Most of the figures I see in those links relate to young couples in the US, certainly something I wouldn't strictly consult on the issue of domestic abuse.

We can look at the US if you want though. Most domestic violence is committed against women and the overwhelming amount of defendents convicted in federal courts where prosecutions are made for domestic violence are men.
Reply 23
Mmm. Not quite sure what you're trying to say. Most of the figures I see in those links relate to young couples in the US, certainly something I wouldn't strictly consult on the issue of domestic abuse.

We can look at the US if you want though. Most domestic violence is committed against women and the overwhelming amount of defendents convicted in federal courts where prosecutions are made for domestic violence are men.

You’ve already mentioned why those statistics are not a great thing to use
Original post by Just my opinion
Yes, the impression you get from the media is that the numbers are wildly different, but as Erin Prizzey points out in the clip above two women a week die at the hands of a partner or previous partner and just under one man a week. Not that big a gap.

Do these figures include women killed by their lesbian partners? I recently read this book that said that 1 in 3 lesbian women is sexually assaulted by other women. The book also cited a systematic review that stated that the rate of serious violence in lesbian relationships could be as high as 85% in the US. If you factor things like this into that statistic of yours it will close that gap even further.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
Do these figures include women killed by their lesbian partners? I recently read this book that said that 1 in 3 lesbian women is sexually assaulted by other women. The book also cited a systematic review that stated that the rate of serious violence in lesbian relationships could be as high as 85% in the US. If you factor things like this into that statistic of yours it will close that gap even further.

I don't know but gay men must suffer domestic violence too.
Ihave read a report showing that in pure numbers, women in lesbian relationships suffer more incidents of domestic violence than straight women.
Original post by Joep95
You’ve already mentioned why those statistics are not a great thing to use

That does not mean the information is worthless.
Original post by Just my opinion
I don't know but gay men must suffer domestic violence too.
Ihave read a report showing that in pure numbers, women in lesbian relationships suffer more incidents of domestic violence than straight women.

Interesting, yet no feminist seems to care about this issue no doubt because it doesn't fit into their women are victimised by men narrative. There is a greater rate of violence from women towards women than from men towards women in relationships...This doesn't exactly serve feminism...

Reconciling CSEW data and police data shows that for males it is even more under-reported than for men, CSEW gives 1.2m women and 713k men. The police record 473k offences (so assuming that there are no victims making multiple reports then only about a quarter of estimated victims report it to the police) and for court cases 65% of alleged victims are female vs 13% male (with the remainder not recorded) so we get 37% of victims are male but only 17% of alleged victims in court and I expect the majority of this disparity comes from men being even less willing to come forwards than women (masculinity issues).

Also the point of the post was not to try to equalise the extent but to emphasise that men are very frequently victims too contrary to what a lot of people believe or imply.
Reconciling CSEW data and police data shows that for males it is even more under-reported than for men, CSEW gives 1.2m women and 713k men. The police record 473k offences (so assuming that there are no victims making multiple reports then only about a quarter of estimated victims report it to the police) and for court cases 65% of alleged victims are female vs 13% male (with the remainder not recorded) so we get 37% of victims are male but only 17% of alleged victims in court and I expect the majority of this disparity comes from men being even less willing to come forwards than women (masculinity issues).

Also the point of the post was not to try to equalise the extent but to emphasise that men are very frequently victims too contrary to what a lot of people believe or imply.

This is another government report stating that men in this country are twice less likely to report having experienced abuse from their female partners than women are from their male partners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/380090/women-cjs-2013.pdf

If you factor this into the gender gap in domestic violence..men will come out at greater risk of suffering domestic violence from a female partner than women are from a male partner.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reconciling CSEW data and police data shows that for males it is even more under-reported than for men

Absolutey, I acknowledge that.

I apologise for misjudging your intention.
Original post by CookieButter
This is another government report stating that men in this country are twice less likely to report having experienced abuse from their female partners than women are from their male partners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/380090/women-cjs-2013.pdf

If you factor this into the gender gap in domestic violence..men will come out at greater risk of suffering domestic violence from a female partner than women are from a male partner.

Which page, a quick scroll through checking the graphs I seem to have missed it, this doesn't immediately appear to make sense given the overall reporting rates vs estimate victim rates unless men abused by men basically never report it.
Which page, a quick scroll through checking the graphs I seem to have missed it, this doesn't immediately appear to make sense given the overall reporting rates vs estimate victim rates unless men abused by men basically never report it.

It’s on page ten paragraph two. It doesn’t refer to the sex of the partner. I made a mistake in that regard but it does say that women are twice more likely to report a crime of domestic violence from a partner than men.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending