Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

Speakers NoteThe posting of this bill does not mean that myself, anyone at TSR nor even the proposers/writters of the bill neccessarily support the policies that it contains. One of the benefits of this area of TSR is that we are allowed to debate controversial topics, but please be aware that I will be watching this thread and I will be reporting any posts that cross the line and will lock the thread if I feel that doing so is in the best interest of the house.

Please keep the debate friendly and remember that people are rarely persuaded by being insulted and that people do play devils advocate here for the enjoyment of the debate.

B1348 - Protection of Women bill 2018, joep95 seconded by CountBrandenberg

Representation of the People (Amendment) Act 2016
    An Act to disenfranchise women as parliamentary electors

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:'

1: Definitions
    (1) 'women' shall mean a person bearing two X chromosomes or anyone who identifies as female.

2: Part I, Subsection I, Provision I

Shall be amended to:

"Parliamentary electors.

(2)A person is not entitled to vote as an elector'

(a)more than once in the same constituency at any parliamentary election;
    (b)in more than one constituency at a general election; or
    (c) if they are female."

3: Part I, Subsection I, Provision I

Shall be amended to:

"Local government electors.

(2)A person is not entitled to vote as an elector'

(a)more than once in the same electoral area at any local government election;
    (b)in more than one electoral area at an ordinary election for a local government area which is not a single electoral area; or
    (c) if they are female"

4: Part I, Subsection II, Provision I

Shall be amended to:

"(1)A person is entitled to be registered in the register of parliamentary electors for any constituency or part of a constituency if on the relevant date he'

(a)is resident in the constituency or that part of it;
    (b)is not subject to any legal incapacity to vote (age apart);(c)is either a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland; (d)is of voting age; and
    (e)is not female.

(3)A person is entitled to be registered in the register of local government electors for any electoral area if on the relevant date he'

(a)is resident in that area;
    (b)is not subject to any legal incapacity to vote (age apart);
    (c)is a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a relevant citizen of the Union;
    (d)is of voting age;
    (e)is not female."

5: Standing as an independent

(1)A person is not entitled to stand as an independent candidate if'

(a)they are female.

6: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act may be cited as the We can't trust women Act 2018.

Notes:

We need to love and support women and to do that we have to first be honest with their weaknesses and find ways to minimise the impact they can have on their lives and the lives of others, this bill realises that women are highly irrational and emotional and puts in place Protections for the public and themselves by stopping them voting for parties that exploit their emotions.

This bill prohibits women from voting as electors in local and parliamentary elections in the United Kingdom. Mainly because these filthy progressives in the 1920s brought in such a law and I believe it to be detriment to the fabric of our society when clueless females vote for the wrong people. Women are still allowed to stand for parliament, as parliamentary party scrutiny will surely weed out any incompetent fools. I added the bit of independent candidates as they have no party candidate scrutinisation so any nutcase could stand and god forbid, be elected.

Originally written by soggycabbages

Posted by bot. Report errors to DayneD89
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Was this timed specifically for International Women's Day?

Anywho, as a female in the house, it's a nay from me for obvious reasons: we have not spent decades fighting for our rights only to have them stripped away from us and be belittled by males who feel a little bit threatened by us. And thank you, but we women can protect ourselves just fine, no need for this misogynistic ********

ReputationRep:
    What a way to celebrate International Women’s Day!

It’s an aye for me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Doesn't go far enough, and can we get the disclaimer put on all bills rather than just ones that might trigger SJWs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrillanthropist)

Anywho, as a female in the house, it's a nay from for obvious reasons: we have not spent decades fighting for our rights only to have them stripped away from us and be belittled by males who feel a little bit threatened by us. And thank you, but we women can protect ourselves just fine, no need for this misogynistic ********
    The joke.
    You.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    What a way to celebrate International Women’s Day!

It’s an aye for me.

(In all seriousness Joe, you’re a ****.)
    I’m not sure what 4 letter word you have used as so many fit me quite well

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this three weeks early?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)
    The joke.
    You.
    I know it's a joke but someone had to say it – I typically don't put much thought into joke bills but it's International Women's Day so I thought I might as well

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a joke but someone had to say it – I typically don't put much thought into joke bills but it's International Women's Day so I thought I might as well
    Don’t see the reason to italicise IWD, I know full well what day it is, that’s what makes this funny.

ReputationRep:
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador

Anywho, as a female in the house, it's a nay from me for obvious reasons: we have not spent decades fighting for our rights only to have them stripped away from us and be belittled by males who feel a little bit threatened by us. And thank you, but we women can protect ourselves just fine, no need for this misogynistic ********
    To clarify, yes it’s timed specifically for today.
    Aye from me, we need to ensure that our elections are safe. ( the disclaimer spoils this)

Don’t crucify me for seconding the bill... I know the joke isn’t the greatest but it has come to the house. I wouldn’t suggest sending this to division Joep95 given the backlash on Kallum’s bill tonight
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    "filthy progressives" was my highlight.

That would be a no.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No. Just no.

I’m assuming the submission of this bill on International Women’s Day was deliberate to add a hint of irony.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A strong aye; let's bring some common sense back to the electorate.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

It's 2018. Such blatant sexism should not be occurring in this House now, let alone this millennium. It is absolutely not acceptable to be imposing a blanket ban on women from voting and to describe them as "highly irrational" or "emotional". To do so would be akin to banning Muslims from flying a plane for fear they might be terrorists. Instead of applying blanket bans, we should instead be targeting those that need to be targeted. Just as only those who display Jihadist tendencies should be banned from flying aircraft, there should be narrower targeting to target what needs to be targeted.

Hence, I propose to amend all references of-

"if they are female" to read: "if their follicle-stimulating hormone levels exceed their luteinising hormone levels",

"is not female" to read: "is not in a state wherein his follicle-stimulating hormone levels exceed his luteinising hormone levels", and

"they are female" to read: "their follicle-stimulating hormone levels exceed their luteinising hormone levels".

With these amendments, the sexist generalisation of women being "highly irrational" or "emotional" is resolved. Instead, with these amendments in place, the bill will greatly reduce the number of highly irrational and emotional people affecting our politics without affecting those who are sensible and level-headed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely this is a blatant attempt to undermine the rights of the womyn and the fact that it was submitted on International womyn's day adds to the already atrocious bill.

A strong Nay from me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I will, of course, be voting against this sexist bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    I agree - there are no words for this bill.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.