Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

EEE: UCL vs Manchester vs Edinburgh watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I've applied to UCL, Univ. of Manchester, Univ. of Edinburgh and Univ. of Liverpool for Electrical and Electronic Engineering. At the moment I got conditional offers from both UCL and Manchester and am expecting a conditional from Edinburgh and unconditional from Liverpool. The offer from Manchester is fairly easy to achieve so I'm thinking to put it as my insurance choice (because I prefer Manchester univ. over Liverpool) . My question is should I chose Edinburgh or UCL as my firm choice. The conditional from UCL is harder to achieve, even though it's possible, and from Edinburgh I don't have the offer yet but I'm expecting it to be easier than the UCL one.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't told us anything about what you want from a uni so we can't say much.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by manuxm15)
    Hi everyone! I've applied to UCL, Univ. of Manchester, Univ. of Edinburgh and Univ. of Liverpool for Electrical and Electronic Engineering. At the moment I got conditional offers from both UCL and Manchester and am expecting a conditional from Edinburgh and unconditional from Liverpool. The offer from Manchester is fairly easy to achieve so I'm thinking to put it as my insurance choice (because I prefer Manchester univ. over Liverpool) . My question is should I chose Edinburgh or UCL as my firm choice. The conditional from UCL is harder to achieve, even though it's possible, and from Edinburgh I don't have the offer yet but I'm expecting it to be easier than the UCL one.
    Bear in mind Scottish degrees last a year longer, so an MEng will take 5-years at Edinburgh compared to 4-years at UCL.

Visit both universities. They're quite different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Bear in mind Scottish degrees last a year longer, so an MEng will take 5-years at Edinburgh compared to 4-years at UCL.

Visit both universities. They're quite different.
    I'm an international student so it won't be possible to visit them... I will only be able to visit the Manchester one because I'm going to a concert there, but Manchester I will already chose as my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    You haven't told us anything about what you want from a uni so we can't say much.
    Which one has the best engineering department and prospects for the future

ReputationRep:
    I would say UCL

ReputationRep:
    Which one has the best engineering department and prospects for the future
    They are all accredited and ranked similarly. Your prospects will be 99% determined by you and how you use your time so pick the one you like the most.

ReputationRep:
    They are all accredited and ranked similarly. Your prospects will be 99% determined by you and how you use your time so pick the one you like the most.
    I like UCL the most but as the offer is harder to achieve I’m afraid I won’t be able to get in and then I won’t have the chance to get to Edinburgh because my insurance will be Manchester

ReputationRep:
    I like UCL the most but as the offer is harder to achieve I’m afraid I won’t be able to get in and then I won’t have the chance to get to Edinburgh because my insurance will be Manchester
    Not a fan of Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Not a fan of Manchester?
    I like Manchester and I would love to go there too but I think Edinburgh and UCL may have better engineering departments

ReputationRep:
    I like Manchester and I would love to go there too but I think Edinburgh and UCL may have better engineering departments
    Based on what? Manchester ranks higher than Edinburgh according to complete university guide and higher than both Edinburgh and UCL according to guardian.

ReputationRep:
    Not an expert but I thought Manchester’s engineering department was quite highly ranked? I would associate Manchester with engineering before Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was basing my opinion on what people told me but now I’ve seen the rankings, Manchester engineering is actually very good, I’m less worried now ahah. But between UCL and Edinburg which would you chose, then?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yeah, I was basing my opinion on what people told me but now I’ve seen the rankings, Manchester engineering is actually very good, I’m less worried now ahah. But between UCL and Edinburg which would you chose, then?
    This is your choice. If you are spending 4+ years studying as an international you will be investing a lot of time and money in it. You really should try to visit them. If you can afford to travel for a concert then why not extend your trip to visit London and Edinburgh....

You have until May.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.