The Student Room Group

Foundation year questions.

Hi

I'm currently studying a Science HE access course in college and I'm looking to study Paramedic Science. So far I've only had one conditional offer and the entry requirements are much higher than others. I'm being realistic and thinking that I'm unlikely to meet the entry requirements (although not impossible and unlikely to be far off).

I know that Paramedic Science is a very competitive course and places in clearing are few and far between so I've been looking into a foundation year but I can't find much info online. Two main questions really:

If I complete a foundation Science degree will I still be able to get finance your a further three year degree?

Is it possible to complete a foundation degree at one university then do a full degree at another?

Any help really appreciated!
Original post by Jam!e
Hi

I'm currently studying a Science HE access course in college and I'm looking to study Paramedic Science. So far I've only had one conditional offer and the entry requirements are much higher than others. I'm being realistic and thinking that I'm unlikely to meet the entry requirements (although not impossible and unlikely to be far off).

I know that Paramedic Science is a very competitive course and places in clearing are few and far between so I've been looking into a foundation year but I can't find much info online. Two main questions really:

If I complete a foundation Science degree will I still be able to get finance your a further three year degree?

Is it possible to complete a foundation degree at one university then do a full degree at another?

Any help really appreciated!

Hi, first of all, I wouldn't give up on getting the place you want this year. It sounds like you're still waiting on some decisions, so you might get more offers. Also, even with a competitive course, there's still a chance of getting in if you narrowly miss your offer.

To answer your questions- you get funding for the length of your course + 1 extra year, so yes, you could get full funding.

And yes, it will be possible to transfer after a foundation year, but you will need to check entry requirements for specific unis.
Reply 2
Thanks for getting back to me. I made a mistake in applying for two campuses with the same university not knowing that I'd only get an interview/offer for one so wasted a choice there. Another said that I need a biology A level or equivalent so rejected my application. I emailed them explaining that is exactly what I'm studying! I'm waiting to hear back from them but they are painfully slow at replying to emails and I don't know if they can/will change their mind after rejecting my application.

I'm hopeful that I won't need to go down this route as it will only be covering the same material I'm currently studying but just starting to panic a bit (well quite a lot!).
Original post by Jam!e
Thanks for getting back to me. I made a mistake in applying for two campuses with the same university not knowing that I'd only get an interview/offer for one so wasted a choice there. Another said that I need a biology A level or equivalent so rejected my application. I emailed them explaining that is exactly what I'm studying! I'm waiting to hear back from them but they are painfully slow at replying to emails and I don't know if they can/will change their mind after rejecting my application.

I'm hopeful that I won't need to go down this route as it will only be covering the same material I'm currently studying but just starting to panic a bit (well quite a lot!).

It's unlikely they'll change their mind, but who knows!

I would say, try not to panic. It's an option that might be open to you if things don't work out, but you have got an offer, and it sounds like there's 2/3 unis you haven't heard back from yet.

There are a few advantages to a foundation year, as well- everyone I've known who's done one has enjoyed the year, and found it a good bridge between further and higher education. You'll also get a chance to experience uni level assessments when the grades don't matter quite so much.
Reply 4
Cheers. I've emailed a few universities asking if they will take a foundation degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending