Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'll try to be as concise as I can. The run-down is that I was due to complete an assignment for a Semester 1 module, Critical Reading, by Christmas 2017. However, I procrastinated considerably - that, I will freely admit - so I made a nonsensical excuse about my medication making me drowsy, which permitted me an extension until January 5. Well, to make a long story short, I continued to procrastinate and left it all right until the night before the deadline. Suffice to say, I only managed to fulfil 668 words of the 2000 expected word count. I got 15/100, which I was pretty distraught about. My lecturer commented the following via Canvas:

"A clear fail. There is almost nothing to which a mark can be attached. It fails for the word count, but your essay technique is also weak. I would advise attending Academic Skills sessions and booking a Tutorial."

Following his advice, I booked a Tutorial with him the following week. The following exchange occurred:

Lecturer: "Come in."
    Me: "Hello. I was wondering if you could perhaps provide some pointers, please? Only I'm having difficulty trying to find some precise and substantive sources to corroborate my argument."
    Lecturer: (Dons a confused expression) So you want me to write the essay for you? It's no good turning up here without a plan! You've got to do the work!!"

So, to be succinct, I did not attend any Academic Skills sessions, as was advised. Nor did I look in the library or within the online databases, as he suggested. Which brings me to my current predicament - my re-submission deadline is tomorrow, and I am - to appropriate a scientific term - bricking it. I acknowledge that it is entirely my fault. But what's done is done. As a last-ditch effort, I'm reaching out to you wonderful people on this forum. My question is thus:

"Discuss the implications of class and socioeconomic status in literature, referring to at least one text studied in the module." (I chose "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde")

For the life of me, I cannot infer any solid excerpts from the text which exemplify qualms associated with class. But it was the only text on the module which I felt was truly engaging. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.