Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    *UNRELATED* Why did you take English literature, do you want to become a teacher?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    *UNRELATED* Why did you take English literature, do you want to become a teacher?
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeSheard1997)
    That was the original plan, yes. But I'm beginning to have my reservations. It seems as though the path I initially thought was right for me is not entirely the most compatible one.
    Nice what other options are you considering, I love Literature (about to do A-Levels) but fail to see a wide range of career prospects?

Am I right it's quite a versatile degree like Business as my cousin (Lit grad), works at a top recruitment firm?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Nice what other options are you considering, I love Literature (about to do A-Levels) but fail to see a wide range of career prospects?

Am I right it's quite a versatile degree like Business as my cousin (Lit grad), works at a top recruitment firm?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so it sounds like you need to ask for help again from somebody from the university. I'm sorry that didn't go so well the first time you tried.

However, I'm concerned that you seem to have little idea how to start the essay and that you've left it into the last minute before each of the 3 deadlines. PLEASE go and speak to your personal tutor and ask for help with academic and study skills. You really need to address these early on. Otherwise you are going to have a miserable time at uni.

Send an email to set up a meeting TODAY.

As the essay is due tomorrow this still means you'll make to come up with something yourself in the mean time.

I haven't read Jekyll and Hyde since GCSE so I can't provide any content ideas for your essay. Have you tried reading any secondary sources to see what examples they use and what they say about this theme? It's possible that this just isn't the best text to use though - I have no idea myself.

Did you study any poetry? I'm an English grad and poetry is a life saver because a) poems are quicker to read than novels and b) it's easier to comment on the language. Are there any poems you could revisit that have themes more relevant to your essay prompt?

Another option at this stage would be to identify a few long passages from J&H that are relevant and treating them as poems i.e. Doing a close analysis of a few specific parts instead of worrying about the whole book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeSheard1997)
    That was the original plan, yes. But I'm beginning to have my reservations. It seems as though the path I initially thought was right for me is not entirely the most compatible one. Oh, to add, I went to see the same lecturer earlier today for a Tutorial. He told me in no uncertain terms that I have no chance of passing the year. This is after another extension and finally managing to fulfill the word count. I decided to shift my focus instead towards "Mrs Dalloway", since I felt it was more pertinent for discussing class.

The lecturer was pretty ruthless. He imparted such comments as, "Stop quoting crappy sources!" and "This is NOT undergraduate level work! It isn't even acceptable for A-level!" He also accused me of "not reading the bloody book" because I had allegedly made out as though one character was "some kind of tramp", when she was supposedly middle-class and a teacher. From his demeanour, I could tell that he couldn't wait to get rid of me.
    Holy moly your tutor sounds awful. What uni is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mincepiemmmm)
    Holy moly your tutor sounds awful. What uni is this?
    ---

ReputationRep:
    George,

I hope you have managed to resolve this issue, but I agree with the earlier poster who told you to go and speak to your personal tutor to seek some support.

Perhaps you can update - are you still committed to the same essay question and text?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiyoS)
    George,

I hope you have managed to resolve this issue, but I agree with the earlier poster who told you to go and speak to your personal tutor to seek some support.

Perhaps you can update - are you still committed to the same essay question and text?
    --

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.