Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my heart was kinda set on Sheffield bit now I'm not so sure. Other than people telling me to go to King's cause of its superior reputation (not really important to me), I'm starting to wonder if the King's course might actually suit me more. Can anyone currently/previously in either the King's or Sheffield's course tell me about it?

ReputationRep:
    Visit both - go to the one you like best. I picked a higher ranking uni over one I liked and really regretted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imherpacifier)
    Visit both - go to the one you like best. I picked a higher ranking uni over one I liked and really regretted it.
    I'm an international student so that really isn't possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms1307)
    I'm an international student so that really isn't possible
    How come your heart is set on Sheffield then?

I think it would really depend on which modules you like best, and also what type of city you would like to live in.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

ReputationRep:
    Experience of both cities, you won’t do wrong with Sheffield. Fantasticly friendly, reasonably priced and green city.

It depends what you want out of your university experience. You will get a lot more ownership working for a digital firm in Sheffield than an anonymous big name brand in the capital where you’ll be just another intern. If reputation doesn’t matter but you still want a Russel Group uni and you want to enjoy your three years, Sheffield.

King’s has no digital media production facilities whereas Sheffield has photoshop and adobe cc on the fourth floor of the library. They even have a VR Room and dedicated iMacs for video production.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKingsScholar)
    Experience of both cities, you won’t do wrong with Sheffield. Fantasticly friendly, reasonably priced and green city.

It depends what you want out of your university experience. You will get a lot more ownership working for a digital firm in Sheffield than an anonymous big name brand in the capital where you’ll be just another intern. If reputation doesn’t matter but you still want a Russel Group uni and you want to enjoy your three years, Sheffield.

King’s has no digital media production facilities whereas Sheffield has photoshop and adobe cc on the fourth floor of the library. They even have a VR Room and dedicated iMacs for video production.
    Thank you for this! But I'm just concerned about whether or not I'll get good job opportunities doing the Sheffield course. Someone who works in PR in UK advised my parents that companies look at rep more, so King's or Glasgow (another choice of mine) would be ideal.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms1307)
    Thank you for this! But I'm just concerned about whether or not I'll get good job opportunities doing the Sheffield course. Someone who works in PR in UK advised my parents that companies look at rep more, so King's or Glasgow (another choice of mine) would be ideal.
    I’m afraid your job opportunities are only down to you. You do internships every summer, start your own digital firm and network well and come out with a first in Sheffield. You’ll get a job. You do none of the above and graduate with a 2:1 at King’s you’re less likely to. The graduate employment is good, that’s only because Kings encourages us to do internships in the summer. You can do that at Sheffield and their career service is equally adroit at securing you an internship. There’s nothing stopping you doing 9 months in Sheffield enjoying the better facilities, cheaper costs of living and better quality of life then spending 3 summer months in the big smoke.

There are always careers fairs run externally and by Sheffield internally, the first day usually brings in big name marketing firms and large firms needing digital media grads.
    https://sheffield.digital/posts/digital-careers-fair/

Sheffield consistenly ranks higher for student enjoyment. For somewhere where I was spending 3 years of my life, a slightly better reputation due to location, would not warrant going to one of the worst RG unis for student enjoyment.

Reputationally they’re not opposite ends of the spectrum and both are high performing RG unis. The better access to actual digital media facilities would win it for me, if you’re more interested in theoretical Kings may sway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKingsScholar)
    I’m afraid your job opportunities are only down to you. You do internships every summer, start your own digital firm and network well and come out with a first in Sheffield. You’ll get a job. You do none of the above and graduate with a 2:1 at King’s you’re less likely to. The graduate employment is good, that’s only because Kings encourages us to do internships in the summer. You can do that at Sheffield and their career service is equally adroit at securing you an internship. There’s nothing stopping you doing 9 months in Sheffield enjoying the better facilities, cheaper costs of living and better quality of life then spending 3 summer months in the big smoke.

There are always careers fairs run externally and by Sheffield internally, the first day usually brings in big name marketing firms and large firms needing digital media grads.
    https://sheffield.digital/posts/digital-careers-fair/

Sheffield consistenly ranks higher for student enjoyment. For somewhere where I was spending 3 years of my life, a slightly better reputation due to location, would not warrant going to one of the worst RG unis for student enjoyment.

Reputationally they’re not opposite ends of the spectrum and both are high performing RG unis. The better access to actual digital media facilities would win it for me, if you’re more interested in theoretical Kings may sway.
    First of all, thank you for your input, this really helps. Secondly, I know this isn't what my thread is about, but what do you think of the University of Glasgow for digital media? They have a digital media and information studies course which can be taken as a dual degree with a variety of subjects, such as business, management etc. How do you think that compares to these 2 schools?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am also considering Digital Culture at King's. I am really interested in journalism, so my concern is that the course isn't really "journalistic". I would love to study at King's because it is, as you said, kind of superior to other universities, I don't know though if the course is enough for me, whether actual Journalism courses wouldn't be both more suitable for me, and considered as better ones regarding my future job opportunities.

What is up with your decision? I would love to help.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.