Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long should I revise for at GCSE level? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I’m currently starting to revise for my GCSE’s more throughly, spending more than an hour or so on each subject.
    Does anyone know how many hours I should revise for a day now it’s march and my GCSE’s are in May and June?

I’m aiming for 7/8’s and I want (hopefully) achieve those and I have been revising in the past.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do?

Thank you in advance! x

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think there is a specific amount of time you should be each day. The actual exams although they will be hard will not be as hard as you expect from the ways teachers act like they will be. I’d say 3 hours a night is enough if you feel confident! Just make sure you have all your notes and revision material created soon so for the next coming months it’s just a case of reading and absorbing all the information for the exam. If there is one subject you especially struggle on make sure to give that a little extra time. If you feel you need a break from revision though make sure to have a night off.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There isn`t a magical number. The important thing is that you revise in an effective way.

Basically, practice questions! That is by far the best way. Just reading notes or highlighting won`t help as much.
    There are a few good resources online with loads of questions for free! Seneca Learning is one of them and Quizlet is another one. You can also download past papers.

Also try to plan your study time ahead. Come up with a timetable and stick to it. Plan how long you will be focusing on each subject each day. Remember that it`s better to do small chunks spread out over time than to do it all at once.

Creating your own mind maps and diagrams is effective. Flashcards are effective as long as you really think hard before looking at the answer.

There are a few blogs written by scientists that explain the best way to revise. These are very good ones:

What is the best way to revise, by Seneca
    Strengthening the student toolkit, by Dulonsky
    What are the best ways to revise, by InnerDrive

Hope that helps and good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.