Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure about my new marketing job... watch

Just looking to vent and perhaps seek some advice.

I've just started a new job in digital marketing - coming to the end of my second week now. On paper, I love the job. I get to write, do social media and that's basically been my whole career goal.

However, it is so boring. I'll outline it out. I might do three articles a week. I update our social media channels maybe twice a day. Reply to a few emails. Put together some course material. And that's it. At most, there's maybe two to three hours of actual work in a day there. And I'm there for 8 hours. The vast majority of the time is me sat there scrolling through Twitter and refreshing my emails.

The company I work for is very small. We work out of a small office and get 1 or 2 customers a week. However, whatever they purchase is worth roughly £2k so that's all we really need to hit targets and make money. There's only three people in the office too so the atmosphere is pretty much dead - no real conversation, no radio, nothing.

I've persisted in asking my boss for more things to do but I think there's just a general lack of work to be done - I can see him doing exactly the same as me, scrolling through Twitter and refreshing emails. I honestly don't know why they felt it necessary to hire an extra marketing person - it just seems like a total waste of money.

The problem probably lies in that, before this, I was a retail manager of a large store. I was constantly rushed off my feet, there was always something to do and no two days were the same. I was good at my job and, when I received my god awful paycheck every month, I was satisfied that I worked really hard and earned that. No matter how little it was.

I left that job because I had to deal with customers. I really saw the worst of humanity - I had people "wait outside" for me and follow me leaving, I was threatened with violence multiple times and people effing and blinding over a £2 refund. I used to come home and be so stressed, snapping at everybody and everything and I was in an awful mood nearly all of the time. But I was never bored.

I'm just not sure what to do right now. I'm determined to stick it out for a bit longer to see if it gets better. But I've always prided myself on putting happiness and job satisfaction above what I earn financially - it just feels like I've sold out a bit.

Are all marketing and media jobs like this?

Any advice would be great.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.