Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! MONEY ISSUES with applying for a Bachelors from a Foundation Degree! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I will be completing my second/final year of my foundation degree in media production in May. I love the subject and want to study a specific part of it further as this is the bit I want to do as a career. This would be Television Production Management at Edge Hill Uni, to start this academic year.

Problem is, you only get 4 years of finance from SFE (correct if wrong?) so I have already used 2 of those years to complete my foundation degree, leaving 2 years left...the course is 3 years... see my problem here? 😅😅

So, I applied to start on the 2nd year hoping I’d get on. I applied before New Years and still haven’t heard back. I have been chasing it up with admissions the past 3 weeks and still no update. However, although I’d love to get on to the 2nd year, I kinda want to do all 3 years! I don’t want to miss out on any learning from the first year (yes I’m a sad nerd for this stuff🤓). As well as coming in on the second year and feeling as though I have missed out on creating friendships, and the whole uni experience really...😏

So, I’ll bring back up the money issue again! How would I pay for that extra year? I have looked on a website called Future Finance and it looks pretty good. But I don’t have a job or anything, although I would be looking to have one at uni. My parents can’t afford £9,250 tuition fees and then living fees for me living away from home ontop of that!

I need HELP! Please give me any suggestions on what you think I should do or how I could get the money together for the 1 extra year?

Thank you for reading all this... you’re a star 🌟😘xx
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Erinlc98)
    Hi,

I will be completing my second/final year of my foundation degree in media production in May. I love the subject and want to study a specific part of it further as this is the bit I want to do as a career. This would be Television Production Management at Edge Hill Uni, to start this academic year.

Problem is, you only get 4 years of finance from SFE (correct if wrong?) so I have already used 2 of those years to complete my foundation degree, leaving 2 years left...the course is 3 years... see my problem here? 😅😅

So, I applied to start on the 2nd year hoping I’d get on. I applied before New Years and still haven’t heard back. I have been chasing it up with admissions the past 3 weeks and still no update. However, although I’d love to get on to the 2nd year, I kinda want to do all 3 years! I don’t want to miss out on any learning from the first year (yes I’m a sad nerd for this stuff🤓). As well as coming in on the second year and feeling as though I have missed out on creating friendships, and the whole uni experience really...😏

So, I’ll bring back up the money issue again! How would I pay for that extra year? I have looked on a website called Future Finance and it looks pretty good. But I don’t have a job or anything, although I would be looking to have one at uni. My parents can’t afford £9,250 tuition fees and then living fees for me living away from home ontop of that!

I need HELP! Please give me any suggestions on what you think I should do or how I could get the money together for the 1 extra year?

Thank you for reading all this... you’re a star 🌟😘xx

Hi Erinlc98,

You are correct Student Finance will take into account any years of previous study that you have had when calculating your future support.

If you have already completed two years study of your foundation degree and looking to start a new three year course, then you will have two full years funding available.

If you are able to start at year two then you would receive support for year two and three as you are aware, from year one you will be entitled to apply for a Means Tested Maintenance Loan, DSA and Supplementary Grants only.

If you are looking at starting from year one, I would advise you to speak to the university regarding any scholarships and bursaries that may be available.

Thanks Rona

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.