Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about PGCE accommodation.

Are PGCE students counted as postgraduate students - can we apply for postgrad uni accommodation? If not, are there universities that offer accommodation to PGCE students?

Failing that, is it wise to sign a tenancy for say, 12 months, for a place near the university? Are there certain universities that guarantee you placements near the university or do they all come with a risk of being moved miles away? Should I expect to live in 3 completely different places during the course?

I had a friend that started her PGCE last year, and for the first term she was able to stay with a friend of ours who was an undergraduate at the same university and happened to have a spare room (I have no idea what she would have done without this friend, as there was no accommodation and no short term lets available nearby). Then for her placements, which moved her miles and miles away, she shacked up with a receptionist from the placement school and then a teacher from the second school. She was able to return to her friend's house between placements for the university classes.

This worked out all well and good for her, but the whole thing has worried me.

When I pick my university for my PGCE, I am not going to have a friend with a convenient spare room nearby. I imagine it will be very difficult and stressful to get short-term tenancies all over the place and I don't want to be paying for a tenancy that I have to abandon to start a new one up. I don't have a car.

I'm currently living between my parents home (which is not a nice environment) and couch-surfing at friends. I would really like to be able to put my name down to something soon, either university or private accommodation, so I can have some stability established before September. But I have no idea what to do.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vrv)

Are PGCE students counted as postgraduate students - can we apply for postgrad uni accommodation? If not, are there universities that offer accommodation to PGCE students?

Failing that, is it wise to sign a tenancy for say, 12 months, for a place near the university? Are there certain universities that guarantee you placements near the university or do they all come with a risk of being moved miles away? Should I expect to live in 3 completely different places during the course?

I had a friend that started her PGCE last year, and for the first term she was able to stay with a friend of ours who was an undergraduate at the same university and happened to have a spare room (I have no idea what she would have done without this friend, as there was no accommodation and no short term lets available nearby). Then for her placements, which moved her miles and miles away, she shacked up with a receptionist from the placement school and then a teacher from the second school. She was able to return to her friend's house between placements for the university classes.

When I pick my university for my PGCE, I am not going to have a friend with a convenient spare room nearby. I imagine it will be very difficult and stressful to get short-term tenancies all over the place and I don't want to be paying for a tenancy that I have to abandon to start a new one up. I don't have a car.

I'm currently living between my parents home (which is not a nice environment) and couch-surfing at friends. I would really like to be able to put my name down to something soon, either university or private accommodation, so I can have some stability established before September. But I have no idea what to do.
    First off yes PGCE students are postgrads and yes the uni may be able to help with accommodation but no they cannot guarantee where the placements will be. See if they have advisors who can help failing which maybe the schools can help? It is difficult to believe that there are no short term lets available in all the places you are likely to go to. It is a hassle but it is a question of looking for them on sites such as spareroom. No it isn't a good idea to take up a 12 moth let at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vrv)

Universities often guarantee that placements will be within 90 minutes or so of the university, and some seem to be particularly helpful regarding transport - my friend is starting PGCE History at the Uni of York this September, and they're apparently keen to organise car shares. If you lived near campus, placements should be accessible, albeit with potentially-long travel times.

Some offer postgrad accommodation, but it's rarely guaranteed. Renting private, student accommodation near the university is the best option. Your friend's scenario sounds very difficult, but also rare. How far away were her placements/were they within 90 minutes' travel time via public transport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Your friend's scenario sounds very difficult, but also rare. How far away were her placements/were they within 90 minutes' travel time via public transport?
    Her placements were 75-80 miles away from the University. By car it's about 2 hours (but she doesn't drive), 4 to 4 and a half hours by train (the train lines are ridiculous, there's no direct line and required going way out of the way first before joining connecting line) and I wouldn't even attempt it by bus.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vrv)

This does vary from uni to uni- for example Exeter make it clear their placements are very widely spread out, and you could easily have at least one placement over 2 hours away from the city. Meanwhile Warwick said they tried to ensure people only had a one hour commute maximum.

Unis in or near larger cities tend to have more schools to chose from, and so can offer more reasonable commutes. Some universities will take your circumstances into account when deciding on placements, and some will chose for you because they want to improve your teaching or give you a wider range of experience.

As this is clearly important to you, I would contact unis about this before applying- I'm sure admissions will be keen to help.

I don't think many unis offer post-grad accommodation to PGCE students, but some might. Otherwise, maybe you could put your name down for private halls if you can afford it?

Do bear in mind you don't get any payments from your bursary until October.

ReputationRep:
    Chances are, you aren't going to spend very much time at university. Most of a PGCE is spent in at least two different schools. Why not look to rent a room somewhere close to good transport links?

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Chances are, you aren't going to spend very much time at university. Most of a PGCE is spent in at least two different schools. Why not look to rent a room somewhere close to good transport links?

Good luck!
    This is a good idea! My plan is to rent somewhere more towards the edge of the city with good public transport links to the center, but with good road links as well so that if I have a placement outside the city I can get to it more easily. I also want somewhere with allocated parking, as we were told at interview it was essential to have a car.

Obviously this will be super easy to find and not out of my price range at all

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.