Turn on thread page Beta

I am confused if i should take Separate science watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if i should pick seperate sciences or not. I am in a bottom group which means im in the lowest set possible, my mum keeps telling me to pick it but i need to make a decision on whether i should take it or not.

I need alot of help on this could anyone answer and give me some idea's

Also i really want to become a nurse or doctor when i grow up.

If you need to know my levels are ment to be 4 -5

ReputationRep:
    If you really enjoy science, and are up for the extra work, take triple/separate.

If you want to pursue a career as a doctor/nurse/anything within the field of science, you DO not have to take triple, but it helps if you do, because the extra stuff learned in triple/separate gives you a headstart for a level content.

As someone who studies triple/separate science right now, its challenging, but worth it. My school advises those who are in higher sets to consider doing triple, but don't let this limit you.

If I were in your position, I'd choose combined, because its less content to learn in the same amount of time, and to do science a level you don't need a triple science GCSE. And as doing triple is a LOT of extra work, doing it is kinda pointless unless you really love science, or you are set on pursuing a career in medicine/science.

How are you in terms of learning content? If you're good at understanding content in class, and only bad at applying it in exam style questions, then perhaps take separate science. Just getting your head around the triple stuff is actually sometimes the hardest part, so if you're already good at that, you just have to be willing to be very very committed to putting in a lot of effort. Good luck, if you want to know anything in particular about the course, let me know, I'm doing edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    you dont need to take triple science to become a nurse/doctor.
    i think that taking triple science if you are getting predicted 4/5 will be trickier and harder to pass so theres higher chance of not getting the gcses
    its your decision, only take triple science if you REALLY enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=indie.sxnds;76495000] Thanks man! i might aswell choose combined science as separate science seems too much work. Also if i want become a nurse or doctor could i get with my predicted grades? 4a - 5a?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Limez;76524500]
    (Original post by indie.sxnds)
    Thanks man! i might aswell choose combined science as separate science seems too much work. Also if i want become a nurse or doctor could i get with my predicted grades? 4a - 5a?
    No problem! Most universities say they only require a B or 6 in maths and english etc, but as Medicine is such a competitive course, people who get accepted usually have a round of A* and A’s (7-9 in new gcse) You can definitely achieve that. My advice is to not necassarily start revision NOW, but from year 10 start making your notes everytime you have an end of topic exam, and make sure you understand everything, it makes year 11 life a LOT easier haha!

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can handle the extra work load then pick triple. You don’t need to do triple science GCSE to study medicine lol.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=indie.sxnds;76529844]
    (Original post by Limez)

No problem! Most universities say they only require a B or 6 in maths and english etc, but as Medicine is such a competitive course, people who get accepted usually have a round of A* and A’s (7-9 in new gcse) You can definitely achieve that. My advice is to not necassarily start revision NOW, but from year 10 start making your notes everytime you have an end of topic exam, and make sure you understand everything, it makes year 11 life a LOT easier haha!
    Question\/
    I don't know if Music and Art are hard subjects as i like them both and enjoy them. Does that mean i should take them if i like them or does it depend on my levels grades ext.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limez)
    Question\/
    I don't know if Music and Art are hard subjects as i like them both and enjoy them. Does that mean i should take them if i like them or does it depend on my levels grades ext.
    Take them if you like them. From what I know, they both require lots of work, with music I really don’t have a clue but I’m sure there’s some sort of grade you have to have in music to do it for GCSE, and my friends that do it say it can be challenging, (as with pretty much every other subject) but if you don’t like music, don’t take it.

Art, involves a lot of time input, by that I mean staying after school often to do your coursework etc. You said you both enjoy them, so why not take them? The only thing i’d say again is I think that you need a grade 5 (not the gcse grade) or something like that in music before you take it, so you have to be relatively good at it. if you’re down for the challenge, take both, otherwise perhaps choose one of them.

Id also suggest speaking to your art and music teachers to ask them for advice as they’re experts in the field, whereas I haven’t studied either subjects for GCSE, I only know the information from my friends.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Limez;76530546]
    (Original post by indie.sxnds)

Question\/
    Hi there I’m currently in Year 11 and doing both art and music at gcse. If you love both of the subjects then do take them as they are interesting and a nice break from the more academic subjects such as maths. I’m not going to lie but there is a lot of coursework involved, especially for art however as long as you manage your time correctly I’m sure you can cope🙂

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.