Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m a year 12 and wanting to apply to medicine degrees which as you know the deadline to apply is sometime in October. I’m going to apply for the UKCAT test however I have no idea what’s on it and how I can prepare. Any tips would be great.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So i got 670 on ukcat. ( if you aren't familiar with scoring it's 300-900, anything over 600 you have a chance for medicine, 630 is average 700 is great 750+ is amazing).
    i used the ukcat book, the practice questions on the website, the app and i subscribed to medify ( £40 ). i used medify alot ( i would say this is the most realistic to the test, the book is way harder) and used the actual ukcat practice tests on the lead up to the exam. The advice is you should start prepare about 6 weeks before the exam, some people do more some less, it's not really something you can revise for though, practice is more about refining the techniques.
    The sections are quantitiative reasoning (maths), verbal reasoning (answering questions on passages in very limited time), abstract reasoning (weird weird weird patterns), and Descion making (problem solving time questions). For each of these sections you will get a score ranging from 300-900, and you can get an average from this. There is also situational judgement which gives you a band ( 1 best - 4 worst).
    The hardest part about the ukcat is timing, so my biggest advice is don't panic, and if you cant answer the questions within a certain time limit "flag" it and move on. This isn't a normal exam you don't have time to ponder over it for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_Jones)
    Hi I’m a year 12 and wanting to apply to medicine degrees which as you know the deadline to apply is sometime in October. I’m going to apply for the UKCAT test however I have no idea what’s on it and how I can prepare. Any tips would be great.
    Also not to scare you but it is complete HELL! But it's a hurdle we must jump through!

ReputationRep:
    Ok Thankyou that helps, I’ll add it to my list of things to revise for haha

ReputationRep:
    Ok Thankyou that helps, I’ll add it to my list of things to revise for haha
    No problem! if you have any specific questions about it let me know!

ReputationRep:
    I began practicing in about June and did my exam end of august. I practiced on/off for those weeks, before committing to daily for the 2/3 weeks before the test.
    I used the UKCAT book(1250 question book), it's quite a bit harder than the actual thing-but this is good as it prepares you and makes it actual thing easier.
    I used the UKCAT website and one other website(can't remember it, I googled about)-all of which were free(not the book). Personally I don't see the point in paying for any online course. Also heads up, its the time limit that tends to be the problem, not the content itself.
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself-it's not worth it. If you don't do great then applying to uni's which aren't UKCAT heavy is what you should do.
    Also I'd recommend doing it before you go back to school-takes a lot of weight of your shoulders.
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good advice! And good to know it’s free, I’m currently looking at a range of uni’s and I’m going to attend the open days so should get more information then as well

ReputationRep:
    Good advice! And good to know it’s free, I’m currently looking at a range of uni’s and I’m going to attend the open days so should get more information then as well
    Nice! Good thing to get the open days out of the way now-less to worry about in september/october
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there!

We have plenty of resources to help you prepare for your UKCAT:

- UKCAT Guide - this will guide you through each section of the UKCAT in detail so you can work out what to expect and how to prepare
    - Free UKCAT Questions - our question bank has thousands of questions, detailed performance tracking and answer explanations - and is 100% free!

We also have plenty of other resources to help you prepare for aspects of your medicine application, including:

- Medical Work Experience Requirements
    - Medical School Comparison Tool
    - Medicine Personal Statement
    - BMAT Guide
    - Medical School Interview Guide
    - Interview Question Bank

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.