Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it ok to use an old Dell Optiplex 360 for light web browsing / research?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kind of difficult to say without knowing the specs. I Googled it and this came up but I don't know if it's what you've got.

Assuming the specs listed are accurate, I'd say you're going to have a hard time getting Windows 10 to work on it. Only 2GB of RAM is not really enough to do anything, especially when you consider that Windows itself will take up a good chunk of that and the average web browser will eat up 25% of that with just a single tab.

You might be able to get it working if you purpose built the OS around it, get a really light web browser and tune Windows as much as possible. But it's not honestly worth the hassle. If you desperately want to use it, the only thing I can suggest doing is installing a super lightweight Linux distro. It still won't be pretty but you'll have more luck than Windows 10.

ReputationRep:
    If you are running on that inbuilt GMA 3100 as a video card, you will struggle to find working drivers for Windows 10.

Assuming it is a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM - that will be horrendously slow with a spinning disk, but if you upgrade the hard drive to a solid-state drive it will fly. I run a system like this with 2GB RAM, P8400, and an SSD, and it really doesn't trail that far behind my 3rd gen i5 system in day-to-day use - even using memory-intensive data analysis software, as the SSD sort of compensates for the low RAM page-file wise.

If you're paying the bills for your house, though, you may wish to reconsider your options, as it might be ultimately cheaper to spend a bit more on a lower-power draw system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    If you are running on that inbuilt GMA 3100 as a video card, you will struggle to find working drivers for Windows 10.

Assuming it is a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM - that will be horrendously slow with a spinning disk, but if you upgrade the hard drive to a solid-state drive it will fly. I run a system like this with 2GB RAM, P8400, and an SSD, and it really doesn't trail that far behind my 3rd gen i5 system in day-to-day use - even using memory-intensive data analysis software, as the SSD sort of compensates for the low RAM page-file wise.

If you're paying the bills for your house, though, you may wish to reconsider your options, as it might be ultimately cheaper to spend a bit more on a lower-power draw system.
    No, its been upgraded, it has a ATI 6450 graphics card, 4 GB of memory and a 1TB Hard drive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Kind of difficult to say without knowing the specs. I Googled it and this came up but I don't know if it's what you've got.

Assuming the specs listed are accurate, I'd say you're going to have a hard time getting Windows 10 to work on it. Only 2GB of RAM is not really enough to do anything, especially when you consider that Windows itself will take up a good chunk of that and the average web browser will eat up 25% of that with just a single tab.

You might be able to get it working if you purpose built the OS around it, get a really light web browser and tune Windows as much as possible. But it's not honestly worth the hassle. If you desperately want to use it, the only thing I can suggest doing is installing a super lightweight Linux distro. It still won't be pretty but you'll have more luck than Windows 10.
    Its got 4 GB of RAM and is currently on Windows 7, I've had the computer for a few years now. My Dad gave it to me from his old workplace
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Luke5125)
    Its got 4 GB of RAM and is currently on Windows 7, I've had the computer for a few years now. My Dad gave it to me from his old workplace
    If it runs Windows 7 then odds are it'll run Windows 10. It won't be the fastest machine by any stretch but spec wise you'll be fine. My only concern is if you'll have specific compatibility issues between the older parts of the hardware and Win10. But that's something you'd have to install and find out for yourself as I don't imagine there are many people with your exact setup trying to run Win10.

ReputationRep:
    bear™ is running a smoking hot Optiplex 760 with Windows XP

:gangster:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Be fine. I think 10 is more efficient. Use a fresh install though.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely consider a solid-state drive, at very least as your boot drive. Also bear in mind there are no longer free upgrade routes from previous OS (though supposedly you can use 10 without activating and you'll still be able to do basically everything)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    Definitely consider a solid-state drive, at very least as your boot drive. Also bear in mind there are no longer free upgrade routes from previous OS (though supposedly you can use 10 without activating and you'll still be able to do basically everything)
    I got given a Windows 10 DVD hence why I'm thinking of upgrading it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke5125)
    I got given a Windows 10 DVD hence why I'm thinking of upgrading it
    If your machine run Windows 7 now then it should also run Windows 10, though some very early Windows 7 machines might struggle for compatible drivers.

Also, you need to make sure you have a genuine install key/license - the DVD will just install Windows; you'll still have to activate it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 9, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.