Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni says my offer was a clerical error - where do I stand? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    thank.
    It was my only option. I moved to a new county and there was no adult education above functional skills.

it's been a good experience and has prepared me to do maths at the open university this October.
    Wonderful! Enjoy your degree

ReputationRep:
    can't wait to get started!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you have written proof that you explicitly refuse to agree to them amending the offer then they can’t change it.

If you don’t get the grades then I would recommend trying to resit again or taking functional skill maths instead. It’s sometimes a requirement for graduate jobs (which is why it’s a standard requirement for many degrees that don’t need it for the degree itself). But stick to your guns over the offer conditions. If nothing else it should encourage them to not make that mistake again in future!
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate the advice. I'll be sure to be unambiguous in my polite refusal. I hope I won't have to resit maths again - crossing my fingers (and branding my revision timetable onto the inside of my eyelids).

ReputationRep:
    Cheez you're hard, you're the boss you get to tell UCL what to do you. You're the captain, it's to YOU whether THEY can revoke you or not.

"Hey that offer was a mistake if you give us permission we'll alter you-"

"Look at me! I'm the captain now! I come to UCL without a 5 in Maths because I AM THE CAPTAIN."

ReputationRep:
    If you were about to study a subject where Maths is an essential element I'd be saying work to get the 5 at all costs, but for languages/humanities it seems a nonsense to be stipulating a high Maths grade.

So I think your decision to politely say you'll keep their original offer is the right one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother2)
    If you were about to study a subject where Maths is an essential element I'd be saying work to get the 5 at all costs, but for languages/humanities it seems a nonsense to be stipulating a high Maths grade.

So I think your decision to politely say you'll keep their original offer is the right one.
    Thank you ... I can’t pretend I don’t feel a little sick about it, but I’ll have a much better chance of actually getting a 5 in Maths if I’m not hating it for being an obstacle. Contrary, but true!

I’ve always been somewhat baffled by high Maths requirements for arts and humanities courses, but I suppose universities have their rankings to think about.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Redacted)
    I’ve always been somewhat baffled by high Maths requirements for arts and humanities courses, but I suppose universities have their rankings to think about.
    GCSEs aren't tallied into the university rankings. That's just A-levels and other level 3 qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you ... I can’t pretend I don’t feel a little sick about it, but I’ll have a much better chance of actually getting a 5 in Maths if I’m not hating it for being an obstacle. Contrary, but true!

I'm sure you'll do fine with GCSE Maths :borat:

I believe a 5 translates to a high C grade under the old system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    GCSEs aren't tallied into the university rankings. That's just A-levels and other level 3 qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, fair enough then! Mine is not to reason why 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I'm sure you'll do fine with GCSE Maths :borat:

I believe a 5 translates to a high C grade under the old system?
    Thank you! I hope so 😅

It seems to be either a “high C” or a “low B”, depending on who I ask.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you! I hope so 😅

Make sure you use this website if you're not already

https://www.examsolutions.net/gcse-maths/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Make sure you use this website if you're not already

https://www.examsolutions.net/gcse-maths/
    I haven’t come across that one, thanks very much for the rec!

ReputationRep:

Just a suggestion but Khan Academy has some great lessons on Trig and maths in general, and from what I remember it’s all free! I’m a mature student but a few people I know have used the maths lessons when they were studying their A-Levels and found it quite useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 200)
    Just a suggestion but Khan Academy has some great lessons on Trig and maths in general, and from what I remember it’s all free! I’m a mature student but a few people I know have used the maths lessons when they were studying their A-Levels and found it quite useful.
    Khan Academy also has terminology differences as its American PLEASE steer well clear. There are FAR better UK websites that are better suited to our exam system.

ReputationRep:

I work in a college for adults and it’s very frustrating for Access students to have these arbitrary blanket requirements. Even for 18 year olds I can’t see how Maths is needed for a language degree but it puts up some many barriers for adult returners who already have a lot to contend with.

Just take up the place and enjoy your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'll try to keep this brief but some context is needed. In December I received and firmly accepted a conditional offer from my dream uni. It was a low offer, but the course isn't popular and I'm a mature student on an Access pathway, so I didn't think there was anything unusual about that - the uni states on all its admissions blurb that mature applicants are considered on a case by case basis/individually appraised according to experience/etc. The only condition stipulated in the offer was that I achieve 28 Access credits at Merit (I've achieved Distinctions in every unit so far, if that's relevant at all).

However, I've just received an email from the uni stating that there was a clerical error on their part and that the offer should also have stipulated GCSE Maths at Grade 5, as they normally ask that of all applicants. I don't currently have a Grade 5 and am retaking Maths alongside Access, but the point is that it wasn't stated in my offer conditions. The uni has also stated (generously, it must be said) that as I've already firmly accepted the offer, they can't alter it 'without my permission' and that it's therefore up to me whether they amend it or not. But I really need to know where I stand. Are applicants generally required only to fulfill the explicit conditions of their accepted offer? Can the uni withdraw the offer altogether if I say I don't want them to amend it? Or are they likely to reject me come results day even if I meet my conditions?

TL;DR: Conditional offer firmly accepted, now uni wants to change conditions due to 'clerical error'.
    Accept the offer and do not allow them to change it!

You're right, that was generous of them but now that they've made the offer, once you accept it on the terms put forward then bam - we're done and you're in, Grade 5 maths or not.

Don't worry about the maths, I did a biochem degree surrounded by people who couldn't count their own toes without a calculator. It'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Khan Academy also has terminology differences as its American PLEASE steer well clear. There are FAR better UK websites that are better suited to our exam system.
    Argh my apologies for the incorrect information! I gather the must have used it just for a basic understanding but please disregard my earlier post OP!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I hope so 😅

A 4 would be a C and a 5 would be a C+. I'm in a similar position, I recieved a conditional offer and I've met the terms but haven't recieved anything back from the Uni so I'm a bit worried in that sense. But I think they still have the right to reject you as there's no fixed contract until the course has begun I believe though it'd be viewed as ethically wrong if they were to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    A 4 would be a C and a 5 would be a C+. I'm in a similar position, I recieved a conditional offer and I've met the terms but haven't recieved anything back from the Uni so I'm a bit worried in that sense. But I think they still have the right to reject you as there's no fixed contract until the course has begun I believe though it'd be viewed as ethically wrong if they were to do that.
    Which Uni is it? Based on the experiences of other students at my FE college it seems a few of them are very slow at communicating with applicants. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon enough - they made you an offer, after all, so they want you.

It's very confusing trying to work out what exactly the situation is with a firmed offer. Some people say it constitutes a contract, some say not, and the official guidance from UCAS is about as much use as a chocolate teapot unfortunately. I've got a horrible sinking feeling that I won't be going anywhere in September no matter how good my results are. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnathan94)
    Accept the offer and do not allow them to change it!

You're right, that was generous of them but now that they've made the offer, once you accept it on the terms put forward then bam - we're done and you're in, Grade 5 maths or not.

Don't worry about the maths, I did a biochem degree surrounded by people who couldn't count their own toes without a calculator. It'll be fine.
    Well, I've replied to the email saying I'd like to retain the offer as it stands but that I'm aiming to get 5 anyway. Honestly I'm expecting them to tell me they were only being courteous and that they're changing it/withdrawing it. Still, it can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the positive vibes!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.