Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really need help and advice. I have 5 unconditionals for Architecture but I’m deciding between Glasgow School of Art and Strathclyde University. The thing is that I know GSA has an amazing reputation and I’m honoured to have been accepted but something doesn’t seem right, I’m not convinced it’s the best course out there but Strathclyde seems really grounded and academic so I’m attracted to that more. Although because GSA is so prestigious I’d love to say I go there, but does anyone go there or know someone who goes if the course is better than other unis. I feel like in previous years GSA standards have dropped and it seems too much like a fun factory instead of pushing people to their potential. Although I’d liked to be convinced that it’s a great uni so if u have any opinions PLEASE let me know ))

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited both schools? I applied to and have looked around each of them and I must admit that I wasn't keen on the department at Strathclyde (uninspiring building and studio spaces), whereas I loved the studios at GSA (huge and very open with plenty of light and good views). GSA is definitely a more prestigious name in the architectural world, however Strathclyde also has a good reputation with employers. Also the GSA course is obviously more creative, and the Strathclyde course is much more technical (Architecture comes under their Engineering department), so it depends on which aspect of the course you're most interested in. I wouldn't say GSA is a fun factory, although out of the two they're certainly more conceptual/arty, which I would say is better for Part 1 before things get more technical in Part 2. Personally I much prefer GSA (although unfortunately it won't be one of my final two choices).

Good luck with your decision and congratulations on receiving those offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    Have you visited both schools? I applied to and have looked around each of them and I must admit that I wasn't keen on the department at Strathclyde (uninspiring building and studio spaces), whereas I loved the studios at GSA (huge and very open with plenty of light and good views). GSA is definitely a more prestigious name in the architectural world, however Strathclyde also has a good reputation with employers. Also the GSA course is obviously more creative, and the Strathclyde course is much more technical (Architecture comes under their Engineering department), so it depends on which aspect of the course you're most interested in. I wouldn't say GSA is a fun factory, although out of the two they're certainly more conceptual/arty, which I would say is better for Part 1 before things get more technical in Part 2. Personally I much prefer GSA (although unfortunately it won't be one of my final two choices).

Good luck with your decision and congratulations on receiving those offers!
    Thanks so much. I visited both schools but I couldn’t see the department at Strathclyde because it was getting done up. I see your point and I think GSA will be my choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.