Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The number of people who take advantage of the system is ridiculous, I can only wish I did the same. If I had extra time or a laptop then I would have got better grades 100%!

I personally don't understand why some people are given this aid. I thought the aim of GCSEs were to distinguish those more talented individuals from those who are less talented? Why should somebody be given more time than another person (excluding some situations)?

ReputationRep:
    Some people are allowed extra time if they have a special need; dyslexia, adhd etc.
    Others are allowed to use computers if they have a disability where they either cannot write effectively in the certain amount of time provided for the intial exam, or cannot write at all!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidgetfinner7)
    Some people are allowed extra time if they have a special need; dyslexia, adhd etc.
    Others are allowed to use computers if they have a disability where they either cannot write effectively in the certain amount of time provided for the intial exam, or cannot write at all!
    Some special needs I can understand.. but some of them have no affect on the ability to do an exam..

ReputationRep:
    i didn’t use a laptop in my gcses and i found it really difficult to complete my essay exams due to a joint condition combined with a bad injury causing major pain in my writing hand when holding a pen - because of this, it has been requested by my gp that i use a laptop for my a level exams as i am taking 3 essay subjects and writing for that length of time is doing damage to something that is already fairly serious.
    however, i do agree that some people truly abuse the system, for me it wasn’t so bad at gcse, the main people who got extra time were those with conditions such as dyslexia and someone who had cerebral palsy - all fairly understandable reasons, and very few people used computers. however coming into sixth form, the teachers are requesting that people use a laptop because they have “bad handwriting”!? in those scenarios it’s ridiculous. anyone entitled to extra time or the use of a computer should have them in order to level the playing field, not to push them ahead
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traore)
    Some special needs I can understand.. but some of them have no affect on the ability to do an exam..
    and those are?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no.

Not this again

ReputationRep:
    because some people have disabilities which examiners need to cater for , not everyone is the same ability

and you're right gcses are to distinguish people abilities , the extra help is there so people start at the same natural ability (roughly anyway)

ReputationRep:
    I mean if your school is trying to offer computers and aid to people who don't have learning disabilities..??.

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminds me of this weird guy in my old school who would act as if he had some sort of disability when it came to exams(And could sit the exams in another room with NO INVIGILATOR) but when playing **** like League of Legends he was 100% fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traore)
    The number of people who take advantage of the system is ridiculous, I can only wish I did the same. If I had extra time or a laptop then I would have got better grades 100%!

I personally don't understand why some people are given this aid. I thought the aim of GCSEs were to distinguish those more talented individuals from those who are less talented? Why should somebody be given more time than another person (excluding some situations)?
    As a previous recipient of this assistance, I totally agree. I got 25% extra time and the option to use a laptop (I rejected that though) because I had an EHCP due to my high-functioning autism. This was totally useless to me as I would often finish exams in half the normal time limit. The problem is that assistance is given to blanket groups (such as all those with special needs), regardless what their needs are. There definitely needs to be a crackdown.

ReputationRep:
    I'm left handed and never quite learned how to write properly but if that is the reason I don't get the grade I deserve I'll be damned.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.