Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Managing jealousy when other people are able to do what they love? watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically, I'm a graduate who earns literally peanuts in a job I hate. Im 28 and I feel so unable to do the things that others are doing.

Mainly because I don't have the level of wealth to have the lifestyle I want or to take time out of work and travel.

With this comes the jealousy, and facebook is a massive killer for self confidence.

I have former colleagues that go on holiday to Canada and USA every summer. I have another friend who has visited the Seychelles and other expensive parts of the world.

And more recently, a distant family member has gone to the USA for a 3 week long vacation. Since they have friends to help with accommodation they dont have much costs to pay.

How can I control jealousy?

Always wanted to go to States but never could afford it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't.

Yeah, you read that right.

What you should do instead is convert this negative emotion into a positive reaction.

You want to be able to frequently go on a vacation but you lack the funds to do so, hence why you are jealous of others being able to do. Allow your jealousy to fuel you to motivate yourself to work even harder so that you can make that a reality for yourself.

Spoiler:
    Show

or just stop going on fb and instagram.

ReputationRep:
    Social media is a killer when all you see is other people living happy and successful lives when you believe that you're not. Concentrate on the positives in your own life, you may not be able to afford to go abroad every summer but focus on what you are able to do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.