Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I like both, but I keep being told I can’t take both. It’s supposed to be one or the other. Why is it hard to study geography AND history GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    It's just a lot of content - they are bother very academic subjects.

But it also may be to do with your schools option blocks.

ReputationRep:
    They’re both pretty learn-intensive, but nothing extraordinary. I have several friends who take both. It’s not easy, but not impossible. Apparently rs it the easiest humanity though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What do you find hard?

ReputationRep:
    No such thing as can't - I took both, and as much as I regretted not doing RS (which all my friends claimed was piss easy) over the content heavy geography, it certainly was' impossible as I got an A* in both. I hated geography by the end of it but if you have a good memory and like rote learning, I see no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies. I haven’t started yet, I’m just choosing, the option is there to do both, and I’m finding choosing is hard, and my teachers and headmaster said I ought to do a language and drop either history or geography as they are two content heavy subjects and it could get stressful. I like the discussions in them - should we reintroduce wolves? - the weirdly good effect war has on medical advances - but maybe at GCSE level it’s all about memorising and it’s going to be brain overload.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing both for GCSEs this year. Geography is not too hard for me but it requires lots of thinking. History is quite difficult, still, it teaches me to write essays which is also beneficial for other subjects. They both have a huge content, especially for the 9-1 exams. But on top of these, my school needs me to do a language (I chose French) although English is not my mother tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freefalling_)
    No such thing as can't - I took both, and as much as I regretted not doing RS (which all my friends claimed was piss easy) over the content heavy geography, it certainly was' impossible as I got an A* in both. I hated geography by the end of it but if you have a good memory and like rote learning, I see no problem.
    how long did it take you to revise for history and geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?Hannah?)
    how long did it take you to revise for history and geography?
    Honestly, I revised history for about 2/3 days before the exam to learn all the content and geography mainly the night before, although I probably should have spent longer because there was a lot of content and case studies. I'd advise giving yourself a couple of weeks if you want to do past papers too (which I didn't).

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I took both and they weren't difficult at all. Like another user suggested, perhaps it's to do with your school's option blocks? Ask them why you can't take both? Loads of people take both.

I'm doing A-Level History and I would rather be doing three Humanity GCSEs than what I'm doing now. One of the modules is interesting enough but it's just so demanding.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.