Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Take sick leave due to depression watch

Announcements

I work full time, but recently due to a personal circumstance I cannot help but feel depressed. I am thinking to get a doctor's note and taking time off as it is impossible for me to pay attention because of something that happened, I was sort of sexually and emotionally abused in a relationship. it has made me a nervous wreck and lost my confidence. I know 2 weeks off work will not make a alot difference. I already hate working there but my personal circumstance has made me feel worse at work and not able to focus on it as much as I need to. I am just worried about the impact this could have on my career.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I work full time, but recently due to a personal circumstance I cannot help but feel depressed. I am thinking to get a doctor's note and taking time off as it is impossible for me to pay attention because of something that happened, I was sort of sexually and emotionally abused in a relationship. it has made me a nervous wreck and lost my confidence. I know 2 weeks off work will not make a alot difference. I already hate working there but my personal circumstance has made me feel worse at work and not able to focus on it as much as I need to. I am just worried about the impact this could have on my career.
    Taking a bit of time of because of tonsillitis or recovering from surgery isn't going to have a huge impact on your career unless you are in an extremely demanding and competitive position with massive asses. Depression is no different.
    In fact, depression is covered in the disability act so your work could actually need to support you. Maybe something like reducing your hours a little would be a more long term help than some sick leave.
    I would say it's worth talking to your GP not only about your immediate situation, but also some more long term plans like some counselling or therapy. Then you could maybe have a think about talking to your work and seeing how they could support you.

Hope that helps and good luck with everything

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.