Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I do not want to study medicine but I have heard that medical students have to dissect REAL human bodies and I was like WTF? I always thought medical students would do dissection with human mannequins not actual real human beings, that's just ****ing gross and really creepy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I do not want to study medicine but I have heard that medical students have to dissect REAL human bodies and I was like WTF? I always thought medical students would do dissection with human mannequins not actual real human beings, that's just ****ing gross and really creepy
    if you think about it you would not learn much from cutting up a dummy ?

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    1) very few medical schools are able to facilitate this
    2) why do you think it's creepy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    2) why do you think it's creepy?
    and here we have tsr's resident sociopath!

Spoiler:
    Show

Joking aside, having to prod a dead corpse is creepy because it might do something unexpected - muscle spasms, for example.

ReputationRep:
    some people wish to donate their body to science after they pass. also there are some unclaimed bodies which are also used. its not gross, youre learning from it. i think its cool to dissect real human material (not a weirdo).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    my old biology teacher did when they were at uni

ReputationRep:
    Not all medical schools do full cadaveric dissection nowadays. Some use prosection (basically the dissection is already done for you) whilst others use models/simulations.

At any rate it's not creepy or gross - this isn't the 14th century. It's scientific education; we can't learn human anatomy by dissecting frogs.

It's all regulated by the Human Tissue Authority and there's sometimes a memorial service which students attend at the end of the module to commemorate those who donated their bodies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medical student, we use prosection but to be honest I would have loved to have done full body dissection. I actually find it quite fun and really informative to actually see where things are in a real body and not a 2D diagram

ReputationRep:
    Bring back the bodysnatchers.

ReputationRep:
    One of the courses I’ve been offered a place on (human biology) you get the opportunity to go and watch a post-mortem. I think it’s massively interesting and if I ever had the chance to dissect human tissue, then I definitely would.

ReputationRep:
    Well, dealing with dead bodies is one part of doctors job. You never know what you gonna see when ure called. How else would they learn haha? I wouldn't even trust a doctor to do my surgery knowing that they've never cut human body before
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Asking in the Medicine forum would've been a better start.

Thread moved.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's like asking whether doctors do surgery on real humans!

Yes, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but its only a small part of medicine. No one is forcing you to become a pathologist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by num.7)
    and here we have tsr's resident sociopath!
    You ain't the first one on here to say that But I never got called a sociopath for asking a question!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.