Turn on thread page Beta

I sleep more than most people my age watch

I’m 15, female, but I sleep for about 11 hours and sometimes 13 when I’m supposedly sleep 8. My friends say it’s my anxiety but idk if it’s normal or not. Does anyone else have the same thing?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    maybe it's about your intention of living
    or motivation, defines better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m 15, female, but I sleep for about 11 hours and sometimes 13 when I’m supposedly sleep 8. My friends say it’s my anxiety but idk if it’s normal or not. Does anyone else have the same thing?
    I don't but I do have a very irregular sleep schedule if it's any consolation. I sleep about 6-7 hours on a school night and compensate for this at the weekend. You sound more like my mother who has the stupidest sleep schedule I've known of (mine's better than hers, which is saying something). The minimum she sleeps is about 10 hours, the maximum probably 12-14.

ReputationRep:
    I do it too at 18 but I have chronic fatigue

ReputationRep:
    I always been able to sleep only 5 hours a day than sleep 10-12 hours one day a week.

Sleeping 10-12 hours a day is not normal, but it may be normal for you. Go and check it with a doctor.

Anxiety can effect sleeping patterns. It could be the anxiety.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Needing more sleep than "normal" or having low energy can be a sign of things like vitamin deficiencies or other health issues. Mental health problems can also sap your energy.
    Worth checking in with your GP. They might want to do some blood tests to check for deficiencies and the like.
    And if you're not already I would suggest getting some support for your anxiety. You can talk to your GP or school about counselling/ therapy. When your brain keeps worrying about things it uses up your energy so improving that a bit could help you with your sleep too. Not to mention the obvious positive of being less anxious.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm 14 and I sleep 3-5 hours every day and never feel tired. I guess it's different for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a fitbit to track your sleep? I was finding it weired that on nights that I was sleeping for 10 hours, I was more tired than after say 6 hours sleep. The fitbit showed that I wasn’t sleeping well when I was getting more hours so then I was sble to address that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you have any other symptoms? Is it a new thing?
    Teens need a lot of sleep to develop their brain and some more than others. Your friends might not even realise how long they're sleeping for or how much they need.

You could be a light sleeper or you're nutritionally deficient?

However I have chronic conditions which cause me chronic fatigue and I need at least 10 hours to feel okay the next day, so if you're having other symptoms then you could have a health condition? Do you wake up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep? Do you feel like you need to sleep throughout the day?

I don't think anxiety makes you sleep more. I think it does the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should check out your lifestyle or if you have not done anything wrong, you need to consult with the proper physician. If you spend half of your day (12 hours) just get to sleep, then I think it is not normal. Normal and active teenagers maybe just need 8 hours sleep,besides, it would be normal teenager routine, I mean their schedule like, go to school, social with friend, hanging around, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.