Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone else been accepted into portsmouth illustration for sept ‘18 ?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    since no one's responded, i'll just say that i'm just over halfway into my first year, so if you have any questions about the course, i'll be happy to answer them for you.

ReputationRep:
    What's it like studying in portsmouth? is there stuff to do outside of work? are the societies active? do you get your own workspace to put your work up? are the tutors good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver_groves)
    What's it like studying in portsmouth? is there stuff to do outside of work? are the societies active? do you get your own workspace to put your work up? are the tutors good?
    it's good. i live in a flat in an area near the seafront, near the pier, near shops... it has everything you'll need to survive basically. the walks by the seafront are just a bonus, really. as for studying, you have the university library, which really comes in handy for whatever course you're doing. it's the best facility they've got, hands down. it's open 24/7, with the cafe also being open 24/7 on weekdays (not weekends, but there is a coffee and hot chocolate machine that's 24 hour). near the eldon building, which is where illustration and other creative courses are taught, you have clubs not far from there if you're into that sort of thing. you can set up your own workspace in the studio, but the space isn't massive. most people in the class don't really bother with that, and you'll actually find no need to do it (unless you're working in the studio a lot outside of hours). both tutors are really nice and do the lectures well, though sometimes they can drag on a bit. the system is pretty organised, you have a timetable for the year which is prepared in advance, though sometimes it can be incorrect, but the tutors have everyone by email, to which they inform if there's no work that day.

it's only my first year, but i settled in very fast, and i'm not the kind of guy who settles quickly.

the most important thing is getting a flat. you want it in a good area, because there's a lot of bad areas in portsmouth where the locals aren't as tolerable as you'd expect. nearer the seafront is your best bet. and if you ever decide to enroll, then message me up and i'll try and help you, maybe meet up. of course, if halls is on your mind, then there's Trafalgar halls right opposite the eldon building, which is most convenient, though halls are generally pretty bad compared to living in a flat. depends what you like.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that's really helpful as I have an offer from Portsmouth and Farnham but feel Portsmouth is probably the right uni for me.

I just have a few more questions if that's okay I've already been to uni once and want to make sure I choose the right one the second time round.

Which areas would you recommend for living, in halls and flats.

Do you know if there's a sandwich year program? where you can go and where others have already gone?

Are there option on attending lectures on employability?

Is there anywhere I can see the work the first years are producing?

Do you find the course engaging and interesting?

Is there anywhere I can get in touch with other current students? Do you know anyone I could also ask questions to?

What would you say the best and worst thing about studying here are?

I know this is a lot but if you can answer any of them i'd be grateful, thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2018
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.