Turn on thread page Beta

Uni rejected due to disability watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    So I had an interview with a University and everything seemed to be going great! Both interviews were smiling, nodding, taking notes and one of the final questions was about my “current state of health”. I opted to be honest and mentioned some previous mental health issues & Joint condition but reassuring both that I haven’t suffered with any issues for some time, while both are chronic they are well managed and have been for a few years. At this point one interview seemed a little apprehensive, she then questioned “would you be able to cope as a midwife with your current state of health”. Anyway to cut a long story short, I left shook both of there hands and on the way out one of them said “by the way, if you get rejected it’s not because of your disabilities”... two days later I’m rejected. Every other uni I’ve applied for I’ve got in. But this one is where I wanted to go!! Does anyone have any advice? I would be eternally greatful. Thank you in advance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by GGunn97)
    Hey!
    So I had an interview with a University and everything seemed to be going great! Both interviews were smiling, nodding, taking notes and one of the final questions was about my “current state of health”. I opted to be honest and mentioned some previous mental health issues & Joint condition but reassuring both that I haven’t suffered with any issues for some time, while both are chronic they are well managed and have been for a few years. At this point one interview seemed a little apprehensive, she then questioned “would you be able to cope as a midwife with your current state of health”. Anyway to cut a long story short, I left shook both of there hands and on the way out one of them said “by the way, if you get rejected it’s not because of your disabilities”... two days later I’m rejected. Every other uni I’ve applied for I’ve got in. But this one is where I wanted to go!! Does anyone have any advice? I would be eternally greatful. Thank you in advance.
    You need to ask for feedback and do a full data protection subject access request to get access to your interview notes and any email comments about your application.

It could well be that you were rejected for other reasons (any offer for midwifery would be subject to clearance of an occupational health evaluation so any concerns they have would be assessed by professionals) but that is a concerning thing for them to say.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by GGunn97)
    Hey!
    Three sets of people you cam talk to.

1. Disability rights helpline.
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/h...dents-helpline

Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

2. EASS helpline.
    http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/ask

They also have e-mail and livechat

The EASS helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm. We can be contacted in one of the following ways:

• Freephone Telephone 0808 800 0082

3. Their disability rights officer.

You might also want to get some feedback on the reasons why you didnt get through.

I dont think because you got 4 offers then you can auto assume discrimination but it raises a question. Talk to he people and then decide if you wish to proceed and lodge a complaint about the comment or other suspicions.

I think it would be quite difficult to prove though without evidence i.e what PQ suggested.

Depending what people say and whether you can be bothered then proceed or not. It may or may not have been discrimination. the interviewer sounds clumsy, but possible they can subjectively assess whether you are an offer candidate v all the others. Pick your battles.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.