Science (Further Additional): B
    English Language: 6
    English Literature: 5
    History: B
    Language option: A*
    Subject option 1: A
    Subject option 2: B

Equates to: A*AAABBBBBC

Studying Biology, Chemistry and Economics at the moment. Not worried about getting the required grades for A-level (e.g. minimum AAA), just worried about how my GCSE grades will bring me down as an applicant.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there are going to be candidates with stronger grades than you applying but I think many unis will take into account A Level grades and personal statements over that. I think the thing they value most is probably the work experience and supercurriculars (like essay competitions and wider reading) so I would say focusing on those kind of things if you’re serious about doing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous8910)
    My grades:

Mathematics: 7
    Science (Core): B
    Science (Additional): A
    Science (Further Additional): B
    English Language: 6
    English Literature: 5
    History: B
    Language option: A*
    Subject option 1: A
    Subject option 2: B

Equates to: A*AAABBBBBC

Studying Biology, Chemistry and Economics at the moment. Not worried about getting the required grades for A-level (e.g. minimum AAA), just worried about how my GCSE grades will bring me down as an applicant.
    There was an applicant on the medicine 2018 offer thread who got 1A* 3A 6B, similar to you, and got 3 interviews and 2 offers from imperial, kings and Plymouth. I personally know someone who got 4 offers from Newcastle, imperial, Plymouth and Brighton, and they got 8B 1C at gcse, but they got high ukcat and bmat scores and top predictions.

You can definitely get offers, you just need to apply to the right places. These places include :
    - imperial, Plymouth, Exeter , Queen Mary, Glasgow, Brighton, Newcastle.

To get an offer you need to do well in the UKCAT/BMAT, and get the best predictions you possibly can, if you want to apply to Exeter or Queen Mary, as they use that in their selection process. The rest of the unis stated above rank applicants according to thief ukcat/bmat after they meet basic gcse requirements, which you have, and give out interviews accordingly. After interviews, nothing else but interview performance will determine if you get an offer.

Getting offers for medicine just needs you to play the game, and apply to where you will get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion-tiger)
    There was an applicant on the medicine 2018 offer thread who got 1A* 3A 6B, similar to you, and got 3 interviews and 2 offers from imperial, kings and Plymouth. I personally know someone who got 4 offers from Newcastle, imperial, Plymouth and Brighton, and they got 8B 1C at gcse, but they got high ukcat and bmat scores and top predictions.

You can definitely get offers, you just need to apply to the right places. These places include :
    - imperial, Plymouth, Exeter , Queen Mary, Glasgow, Brighton, Newcastle.

To get an offer you need to do well in the UKCAT/BMAT, and get the best predictions you possibly can, if you want to apply to Exeter or Queen Mary, as they use that in their selection process. The rest of the unis stated above rank applicants according to thief ukcat/bmat after they meet basic gcse requirements, which you have, and give out interviews accordingly. After interviews, nothing else but interview performance will determine if you get an offer.

Getting offers for medicine just needs you to play the game, and apply to where you will get in.
    Alright this gives me belief that it is possible. I was beginning to have no hope because I was struggling to find any successful stories on people getting offers without having like six A* grades at GCSE level. I’m working on getting my predicted A-level grades up to A* level to aid my chances.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous8910)
    Alright this gives me belief that it is possible. I was beginning to have no hope because I was struggling to find any successful stories on people getting offers without having like six A* grades at GCSE level. I’m working on getting my predicted A-level grades up to A* level to aid my chances.
    Good A-level predictions will certainly open up more doors for you but there aren't as many med schools as you'd think that still weigh predictions. Exeter, Cambridge, UEA and Aberdeen off the top of my head. The cut-off for Exeter was A*A*A* the past 2 years wich was accompanied with a high UKCAT. Cambridge you'd ideally want all A*s with 90+ UMS. UEA weigh predictions, GCSEs and UKCAT equally in a 33:33:3 weighting. Aberdeen is 60% predictions and 40% UKCAT.

After you've sat your first year exams, make sure you nail your UKCAT as that will open up so many doors for you. In my opinion it is easily the most important aspect of your application. There many applicants with 1 or 2 A8s at GCSEs who get offers. There is someone on TSR with 2 A*s at GCSE and a pretty low UKCAT score who as 4 offers.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were very similar to yours when I was applying! I got 2 interviews and an offer from imperial, I'm currently in my 5th year. Imperial aren't so concerned about the GCSEs, just smash the BMAT!

ReputationRep:
    Postgrad applicant here (2:1, MSc Distinction), so take it with a pinch of salt since the circumstances aren't the same.

But zero A*s and I've had three inties, with one coming up (3 GEM, 1 undergrad) and gotten an offer from the undergrad so far.

So long as you don't apply to a place that has strict GCSE standards, they shouldn't hold you back.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.