Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have received an offer to study Law at Dundee University. Currently, I work for one of the world's largest insurance firms. I get paid rather well with an annual salary approaching £18.5k at age 19. This equates to roughly £10 per hour.

My job allows me to do professional, industry recognised qualifications in insurance. There are also commercial underwriting jobs that pop up part-time as well, so it may be possible I could move up the ladder while at uni.

Here's my problem. I am going to uni in September and I'm not sure whether to quit or go part-time.

My job is very relaxed and sometimes I will be sitting at my desk for 20 mins at a time doing nothing on late shifts where nobody would frown upon me doing uni work.

The minimum contract is about 18 hours and they are very flexible because they are open 8am-10pm.

Would I be able to manage this? My part time wage would equate to about £700 per month and being in Scotland that would mean no student debt but the workload for a Law course might make it difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Does you job require you to do this degree? If not why not continue just doing your job? It’s clearly successful and one you can quickly progress in - plus you’d earn enough by the time you’re in your early twenties to be financially well off.
    Unless your firm can essentially sponsor your degree? It’s worth asking because unless you truly need this degree, it could be debt + a lost job for nothing, a degree is not worth it unless the job you get out of it is one you definitely couldn’t of got otherwise, but you seem like you don’t even need it at this point. Plus working whilst doing a degree is considered hard to do, especially if you have to move about a lot of have a lot on contact hours (which you definitely will), so either your grades will suffer or your job might, just a perspective
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily048)
    Does you job require you to do this degree? If not why not continue just doing your job? It’s clearly successful and one you can quickly progress in - plus you’d earn enough by the time you’re in your early twenties to be financially well off.
    Unless your firm can essentially sponsor your degree? It’s worth asking because unless you truly need this degree, it could be debt + a lost job for nothing, a degree is not worth it unless the job you get out of it is one you definitely couldn’t of got otherwise, but you seem like you don’t even need it at this point. Plus working whilst doing a degree is considered hard to do, especially if you have to move about a lot of have a lot on contact hours (which you definitely will), so either your grades will suffer or your job might, just a perspective
    I don't need the degree for my job, I am partly worried by the career progression. It seems that some people move very quickly from my position or are stuck doing what I do, and quite frankly, the top pay grade for my job is 22k. That is not something I will be satisfied with.

A Law degree is something that opens a lot of positions up, especially with the insurance qualifications I'm going to do before I leave where I am. Within where I work you will hit a ceiling if you do not have a degree.

My contact hours are nil outside of my posted hours. So my contract shift is all I will do and is not expected that you do any more.

I also want the experience of being at uni; life is quite dull at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedominator6123)
    I don't need the degree for my job, I am partly worried by the career progression. It seems that some people move very quickly from my position or are stuck doing what I do, and quite frankly, the top pay grade for my job is 22k. That is not something I will be satisfied with.

A Law degree is something that opens a lot of positions up, especially with the insurance qualifications I'm going to do before I leave where I am. Within where I work you will hit a ceiling if you do not have a degree.

My contact hours are nil outside of my posted hours. So my contract shift is all I will do and is not expected that you do any more.

I also want the experience of being at uni; life is quite dull at the moment.
    Oh okay I can see why then.
    Well contact hours will be heavy and will only get worse as time and coursework progresses.
    I’d say it sounds like you can stick it out for as long as you feel fit whilst you do uni but don’t prioritise it. Have yourself in good standing at the firm but it’ll just be something good to have on your CV, as your degree alone won’t be enough once you graduate so you’re already better off than most law students!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.