Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I’m in my first year of uni and it’s confusing because i love it and hate it at the same time. Like I wouldn’t go back or change anything - coming here is one of the most amazing experiences of my life so far. I can’t stop feeling so low all the time though.
    I feel so exhausted being here. I’m fine when I’m hanging out with friends and I’m distracted but then as soon as I’m in my room again I just feel so bored and depressed. I’ve cried far too much lately.
    I’m pretty sure I’ve developed an eating disorder since being here as well and I’m too afraid to open up to anyone about it. I’m stressed about my periods as well cause it’s been 8 weeks since my last one, and I can’t tell whether it’s because I’m not eating enough, if it’s just stress or another reason entirely. I’m scared to go to the uni doctors and I’m not even sure why.
    I have just over two weeks left until I can go home for my Easter break and I thought I could wait it out until then but I’ve decided to go back home today just for the weekend (tbf it’s for my friends bday and also mother’s day).
    Pretty sure I have insomnia. Takes me hours to get to sleep even though I’m so tired.
    I have so many deadlines fast approaching which I zero motivation to do.
    I have no motivation to get up and go to uni.
    I don’t even know what my question here is. Guess I just needed to let it all out somewhere.

you do need to speak to someone.
    your periods is more than likely due to stress and not eating properly. it should be the push to get checked over.
    depression can cause lots of things, including your fear of the uni doctors.
    don't worry about them, they've seen and heard it all before.
    from what I've read, your situation isn't unusual.

I suggest you see the doctor, get your physical and mental health checked.
    then see uni councillor to improve your mental health.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

While it's all probably related to your new diet and lifestyle, you don't really have anything to worry about from doctors - they don't become doctors to be judgemental, their job and career is all about helping you understand what's wrong so that you can deal with it and carry on with your life.

It's fairly common for people to change their sleeping hours and their whole diet as part of their new Uni lifestyle, and they often end up feeling the same way as you do as a result. Going to uni often means suddenly eating significantly different quantities of food than you might have done before, and if you've started relying more on convenience foods and more "junk" that can make things worse. Staying up later studying and going out drinking more alcohol, missing out on all kinds of nutrition that you might have been used to while living with your family will aggravate it. That kind of lifestyle will always take a toll on your body and your mental health after a few months, making it harder to cope with stress. A lot of people with anxiety/depression also have this kind of diet and lifestyle too, so there's a very common link.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.