Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My girlfriend cheated on her ex. Is this a big red flag? watch

Based on the title the answer would seem to be "yes obviously", but here's what happened: their 2 year relationship had been dying for a couple of months. They'd been arguing, spending time apart, for the final week he had been staying at a friends rather than the house they shared with 2 other people. She'd got closer to her male flatmate in this time. 3 days before they officially broke up, she kissed that flatmate.

I hate cheating. But then it was just a kiss and the relationship was on its last legs. Is this a red flag or is it nothing to really worry about?

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a red flag.
    Just imagine you're in a situation where the relationship fluctuates and Its in the tense stage, she's likely to cheat from past experience of hers
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's a red flag but she's your girlfriend now, is that something you would dump her over? Some people do change and if she's willing to move past her screw ups in life then you could let it slide. Having said that, I wouldn't date someone who is a former cheater. The knowledge that they broke the trust with someone else and thinking that they might do the same to me isn't something I'd let go of easily.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I wouldn't make much of it. End of relationships frequently have some form of dalliance associated and we don't live in a perfect world. Many people in secure long term relationships will have been a bit skulduggerus in their past. This said, you know you need to keep you game up or she'll likely be snogging your best mate..

ReputationRep:
    Some people do change and some people don't. There's different magnitudes with regards to cheating and it sounds like what she did, although obviously the wrong thing to do, was a genuine mistake. Is she remorseful for what she's done?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.