The Student Room Group

Deciding on Uni Course Accountancy/ Maths

Hi! I have changed my mind from medicine to finance field(or something more of maths) as I feel like I would always prefer doing maths than learning biology. Right now I am kind of confused which finance field to go for. I have a thought of Chartered Accountancy but not sure if doing a Mathematics degree or Accountancy degree in Uni would be better before going for Chartered Accountancy? And what kind of maths shall I expect in that field? I also thought of Actuarial Mathematics but then realised it is more of stats. Would be very grateful if you could help me with this.thanks
Original post by ASZHM
Hi! I have changed my mind from medicine to finance field(or something more of maths) as I feel like I would always prefer doing maths than learning biology. Right now I am kind of confused which finance field to go for. I have a thought of Chartered Accountancy but not sure if doing a Mathematics degree or Accountancy degree in Uni would be better before going for Chartered Accountancy? And what kind of maths shall I expect in that field? I also thought of Actuarial Mathematics but then realised it is more of stats. Would be very grateful if you could help me with this.thanks

The top accountancy firms (I know this is true for at least 1 of the big 4) prefer students from university who have NOT studied accountancy for their graduate roles, ironic isn't it. A mathematics degree will allow you to do any job that an accountancy degree would but the reverse cannot be said so pick what you enjoy most. For optionality I would do the maths degree given you wont know for sure you want to be a Chartered Accountant till you've actually done at least an internship.

Quick Reply

Latest