Turn on thread page Beta

Teaching - Biology vs Biological science watch

I know both these course mean different things to university’s . Whilst some biological science focus on microbiology and biochem, Biology degree is focused more on zoology and ecology. I like both these courses but I hate the research in biological science but even in biology there’s research too. As a person becoming a teacher which would you believe is better to choose from?.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I know both these course mean different things to university’s . Whilst some biological science focus on microbiology and biochem, Biology degree is focused more on zoology and ecology. I like both these courses but I hate the research in biological science but even in biology there’s research too. As a person becoming a teacher which would you believe is better to choose from?.
    Overall Employment rate into teaching and good degree

ReputationRep:
    I've been in contact with local teacher training centres regarding the same thing (except with maths).

I was told that to teach a subject, my degree must be at least 50% of that subject.
    I was choosing between "maths" and "maths and statistics". I want to teach Maths, so I'm doing the maths so that the maths content is more than 50% which I cannot guarantee with the stats degree. im going to do a few stat modules, so I don't be losing out.

contact a few of your local teacher training centres and ask for advice. they are very helpful. I have 4 and all have said the same, but all were helpful.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by RuthieG101)
    I've been in contact with local teacher training centres regarding the same thing (except with maths).

I was told that to teach a subject, my degree must be at least 50% of that subject.
    I was choosing between "maths" and "maths and statistics". I want to teach Maths, so I'm doing the maths so that the maths content is more than 50% which I cannot guarantee with the stats degree. im going to do a few stat modules, so I don't be losing out.

contact a few of your local teacher training centres and ask for advice. they are very helpful. I have 4 and all have said the same, but all were helpful.
    Thank you 😊 didn’t know there needed to be a set amount of percentages
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Honestly, I've generally found there's not much of a difference. I studied Biological Sciences at the University of Liverpool and that meant that I only had a few compulsory modules, the rest of the time I could pick from all branches of the life sciences, I mostly focused on zoology, tropical medicine, and bioveterinary sciences, but I also took a couple of modules in things like microbiology and marine biology. I loved how broad my degree was and how I could tailor it to my interests. No matter which you pick from, you'll be equally as set up to become a teacher so maybe just look at universities that take your fancy with their course structure

ReputationRep:
    it probably is different for biology, but it is worth approaching some centres and see what they're looking for.

Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.