Teaching - Biology vs Biological science Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I know both these course mean different things to university’s . Whilst some biological science focus on microbiology and biochem, Biology degree is focused more on zoology and ecology. I like both these courses but I hate the research in biological science but even in biology there’s research too. As a person becoming a teacher which would you believe is better to choose from?.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know both these course mean different things to university’s . Whilst some biological science focus on microbiology and biochem, Biology degree is focused more on zoology and ecology. I like both these courses but I hate the research in biological science but even in biology there’s research too. As a person becoming a teacher which would you believe is better to choose from?.
Overall Employment rate into teaching and good degree
RuthieG101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've been in contact with local teacher training centres regarding the same thing (except with maths).

I was told that to teach a subject, my degree must be at least 50% of that subject.
I was choosing between "maths" and "maths and statistics". I want to teach Maths, so I'm doing the maths so that the maths content is more than 50% which I cannot guarantee with the stats degree. im going to do a few stat modules, so I don't be losing out.

contact a few of your local teacher training centres and ask for advice. they are very helpful. I have 4 and all have said the same, but all were helpful.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RuthieG101)
I've been in contact with local teacher training centres regarding the same thing (except with maths).

I was told that to teach a subject, my degree must be at least 50% of that subject.
I was choosing between "maths" and "maths and statistics". I want to teach Maths, so I'm doing the maths so that the maths content is more than 50% which I cannot guarantee with the stats degree. im going to do a few stat modules, so I don't be losing out.

contact a few of your local teacher training centres and ask for advice. they are very helpful. I have 4 and all have said the same, but all were helpful.
Thank you 😊 didn’t know there needed to be a set amount of percentages
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Honestly, I've generally found there's not much of a difference. I studied Biological Sciences at the University of Liverpool and that meant that I only had a few compulsory modules, the rest of the time I could pick from all branches of the life sciences, I mostly focused on zoology, tropical medicine, and bioveterinary sciences, but I also took a couple of modules in things like microbiology and marine biology. I loved how broad my degree was and how I could tailor it to my interests. No matter which you pick from, you'll be equally as set up to become a teacher so maybe just look at universities that take your fancy with their course structure
RuthieG101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
it probably is different for biology, but it is worth approaching some centres and see what they're looking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
28.33%
No (86)
71.67%

Watched Threads