Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have signed up to do ncs in the summer and I’m really excited to go! I’m doing it on my own so I can learn new experiences and hopefully make great new friends. Has anyone done it and was it worth it??

I did NCS a couple of years ago, but I did a shorter programme in October. It was definitely worth it, like you I did it alone so it was confidence building and also increased my motivation. Since then I've taken up more opportunities e.g. I am now a volunteer counseling for Childline, which I doubt I would be doing if it weren't for doing NCS where I gained more belief in myself and my abilities. I didn't make any friends but I still had a good time, that doesn't mean to say that you won't though. I would say that a lot of the marketing NCS do is based on making life-long friends, lots of people do it with friends and on my group at least half the people there had someone they were doing it with and there was a group of about 6 that were doing it together. What I'm saying is don't pin your hopes on making new friends- it could happen, but don't be disheartened if not. Even though I didn't make any, I would still recommend the experience. Hope you have a good time!!

Thank you for your reply! Very helpful advice and i will definitely take into consideration to what you said
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.