Turn on thread page Beta

Poor GCSE’s but chance at UCL/Cambridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I’m currently in Y12 and for my GCSE’s I went to an inexperienced school and managed to get AAAAAAAA and I know those grades are OK but I want to know if I’ll stand a chance/get an interview if I apply to Cambridge/UCL etc for Law or History&Politics. I’m just worried others have much stronger GCSE’s than me. My A2 predicted grades are in line to be A*A*A with an A* in EPQ already achieved (hopefully). I’m not being arrogant, I just want to get a sense of where I’m at compared to others.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon56431)
    Hey guys,

I’m currently in Y12 and for my GCSE’s I went to an inexperienced school and managed to get AAAAAAAA and I know those grades are OK but I want to know if I’ll stand a chance/get an interview if I apply to Cambridge/UCL etc for Law or History&Politics. I’m just worried others have much stronger GCSE’s than me. My A2 predicted grades are in line to be A*A*A with an A* in EPQ already achieved (hopefully). I’m not being arrogant, I just want to get a sense of where I’m at compared to others.
    8As is really good!! That's hardly poor. Most people find Bs and Cs difficult to get (generalising horribly ) but yes, I think you have a good chance of getting into UCL/Cambridge.
    I think most unis will look at your A-level grades much more than your GCSEs so breathe a little. Just make sure you show your passion for your chosen subject!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am someone that speaks from experience when it comes to poor GCSEs and applying to Cambridge.
    I got similar grades to yourself with a few Bs as well.
    My honest opinion is that yes you can apply, and yes you can get in. But it's not about whether you get in or not, it's about whether or not you can handle the amount of work and pressure Cambridge gives you.
    Despite my poor GCSEs, I decided that enough was enough and started putting 110% into my A-levels (English Literature, English Language, Modern History, Government & Politics). I came out with outstanding grades, fully exceeding my school's expectations and Cambridge's requirements. I was so happy with myself, and now knew that because of the work I put in, I could stand a chance to read History at Cambridge.
    I went to a 9 day summer school at Cambridge (Not Sutton Trust) and they had worked me like I had never worked before.
    I was pushed over the breaking point, and I honestly could not handle it, I needed to get out of Cambridge, so I called my parents to pick me up.
    She calmed me down and persuaded me to try and finish the remaining 2 days, so I did.
    It was CONSTANT work. I was honestly so depressed when I left, and I subsequently couldn't work for days because of how emotionally drained I was.
    They will work you to the extent where you are broken, that's what separate the men from the boys. They don't care about your GCSEs, they care about if you can handle the constant work you are going to have to deal with.
    In terms of your degree choices, be warned. Law is the most difficult humanity to receive a place at Cambridge to study. And History & Politics is 2nd or 3rd on the list (It changes every year).
    As for UCL, your GCSE grades are quite frankly perfect for any course there, whether it be Law or some form of History or Politics. At UCL, you will have fun, you will have a life. At Cambridge, as fun as some claim it to be, the work-life balance isn't the best. Cambridge honestly isn't everything, and now I'm applying to a course I love at a university that I love (Economic History at Edinburgh).
    If you think Cambridge is for you, then run with that dream. I did...I just got tired at the halfway point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesLeo1)
    Hello,
    I am someone that speaks from experience when it comes to poor GCSEs and applying to Cambridge.
    I got similar grades to yourself with a few Bs as well.
    My honest opinion is that yes you can apply, and yes you can get in. But it's not about whether you get in or not, it's about whether or not you can handle the amount of work and pressure Cambridge gives you.
    Despite my poor GCSEs, I decided that enough was enough and started putting 110% into my A-levels (English Literature, English Language, Modern History, Government & Politics). I came out with outstanding grades, fully exceeding my school's expectations and Cambridge's requirements. I was so happy with myself, and now knew that because of the work I put in, I could stand a chance to read History at Cambridge.
    I went to a 9 day summer school at Cambridge (Not Sutton Trust) and they had worked me like I had never worked before.
    I was pushed over the breaking point, and I honestly could not handle it, I needed to get out of Cambridge, so I called my parents to pick me up.
    She calmed me down and persuaded me to try and finish the remaining 2 days, so I did.
    It was CONSTANT work. I was honestly so depressed when I left, and I subsequently couldn't work for days because of how emotionally drained I was.
    They will work you to the extent where you are broken, that's what separate the men from the boys. They don't care about your GCSEs, they care about if you can handle the constant work you are going to have to deal with.
    In terms of your degree choices, be warned. Law is the most difficult humanity to receive a place at Cambridge to study. And History & Politics is 2nd or 3rd on the list (It changes every year).
    As for UCL, your GCSE grades are quite frankly perfect for any course there, whether it be Law or some form of History or Politics. At UCL, you will have fun, you will have a life. At Cambridge, as fun as some claim it to be, the work-life balance isn't the best. Cambridge honestly isn't everything, and now I'm applying to a course I love at a university that I love (Economic History at Edinburgh).
    If you think Cambridge is for you, then run with that dream. I did...I just got tired at the halfway point.
    Wait so did u apply to Oxbridge? What were your GCSE’s and predictions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cambridge doesn't heavily weigh GCSEs generally, and primarily consider the application holistically (you can see many such comments confirming this by the College Admission tutors on here in various threads - specifically I believe all the current ATs have said they would never reject a student purely on the basis of GCSEs), and you have a good set anyway. I don't think UCL is particularly fussed about them outside of medicine and a few tickbox requirements (Maths, English Language, and unique to them a foreign language requirement, although this can be met once you start the degree there apparently).

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.