Turn on thread page Beta

Ive wanted to change my name for years for a number of reasons, mostly professional ones.

What I'm questioning is whether I'm going ott with changing my surname to a completely different one (given to circumstances It wouldn't be cool to keep one parents name, the one I live with is the one with the name that no one can pronounce. It wouldn't go with my new first name anyway.)

I don't hate either parent and don't plan on having children so it wouldn't be passed on anyway. Other than hurt feelings, would there be any issue doing this?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive wanted to change my name for years for a number of reasons, mostly professional ones.

What I'm questioning is whether I'm going ott with changing my surname to a completely different one (given to circumstances It wouldn't be cool to keep one parents name, the one I live with is the one with the name that no one can pronounce. It wouldn't go with my new first name anyway.)

I don't hate either parent and don't plan on having children so it wouldn't be passed on anyway. Other than hurt feelings, would there be any issue doing this?
    How bad can your name be?. I think I can pronounce it . Tbh if this is the only point I don’t think it’s worth it, since at every document in the future you need to state you changed your name then there’s passport unless your taking all of that then go ahead.

How bad can your name be?. I think I can pronounce it . Tbh if this is the only point I don’t think it’s worth it, since at every document in the future you need to state you changed your name then there’s passport unless your taking all of that then go ahead.
    You’re *

ReputationRep:

No issue at all - there is just the cost - depending on where you live. It is not too expensive. I shared a flat with a girl who changed her name - she was estranged from her parents and wanted to have a new start ( the parents were very very very religious and didn't want her to leave home, go to university, get a job - just get married to a man of their choice from within their faith). There is of course additional expense of passports, driving licence, bank accounts etc.

Yep your parents may be hurt. But meh! My daughter refuses to be known by her given name and uses her middle name instead - not quite as drastic, but when I call looking for her other people don't know who I am talking about.

However, I will say that if your name is unpronounceable, that really is their problem. I work in London, where I think the majority of people now have names that are not "traditional english" - I just ask them how to pronounce it.

Haha every document? As soon as I renew my passport wouldn't that not be much of an issue? (Unless something asks for birth certificate)
    Yeah I wouldn't mind taking that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guinevere Arthur)
    She changed her name because of her parents belief?!. If this is not extra I don’t know what is.. she could’ve just moved without changing her identity. it’s a name given to you at birth, unless you are not close with your parents there’s no point changing names. Also so what if people can’t pronounce other people’s name. it’s not really deep and shouldn’t really make other people change their own name rather express interest in their name being unique.
    Yep - small community and we have media - easily searchable. Change name to blend in with the rest of the world. Have to say she is very happy now and living overseas - not married and not religious.

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Yep - small community and we have media - easily searchable. Change name to blend in with the rest of the world. Have to say she is very happy now and living overseas - not married and not religious.
    I deleted my original post since I misread your last point about pronounciation and also she shouldn’t really blend I mean just Be yourself honestly!.

(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    No issue at all - there is just the cost - depending on where you live. It is not too expensive. I shared a flat with a girl who changed her name - she was estranged from her parents and wanted to have a new start ( the parents were very very very religious and didn't want her to leave home, go to university, get a job - just get married to a man of their choice from within their faith). There is of course additional expense of passports, driving licence, bank accounts etc.

Yep your parents may be hurt. But meh! My daughter refuses to be known by her given name and uses her middle name instead - not quite as drastic, but when I call looking for her other people don't know who I am talking about.

However, I will say that if your name is unpronounceable, that really is their problem. I work in London, where I think the majority of people now have names that are not "traditional english" - I just ask them how to pronounce it.
    Thanks for your input. That's what makes me ask if I'm going over the top because most stories I hear of peopl changing their surname is because they want to be estranged from their parents.

Haha that must be confusing.

I guess your right! I'll have a think about that

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.