Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm carrying out a redox titration to determine the concentration of iron in iron tablets by titrating the iron tablet solution with 0.005 M of potassium manganate (VII) solution. I'm confused as l
    to whether or not I'd need to standardidise the potassium permanganate as I've followed the instructions below to make up the 0.005 M potassium permanganate.

Measure out 1.58 g of potassium manganate(VII) into a beaker. Add about 500 cm3 of deionised water. Stir and warm gently to dissolve the crystals. Pour the solution into a 2 litre volumetric flask. Add more water to the beaker to dissolve any remaining crystals of potassium manganate(VII). Transfer the solution formed, with washings, to the volumetric flask. Repeat this process until all crystals have been dissolved and transferred to the volumetric flask. Carefully fill the flask to the calibration mark with deionised water. Stopper the flask and shake to ensure a homogeneous solution.

So would I still need to standardidise this?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ahfae)
    So I'm carrying out a redox titration to determine the concentration of iron in iron tablets by titrating the iron tablet solution with 0.005 M of potassium manganate (VII) solution. I'm confused as l
    to whether or not I'd need to standardidise the potassium permanganate as I've followed the instructions below to make up the 0.005 M potassium permanganate.

Measure out 1.58 g of potassium manganate(VII) into a beaker. Add about 500 cm3 of deionised water. Stir and warm gently to dissolve the crystals. Pour the solution into a 2 litre volumetric flask. Add more water to the beaker to dissolve any remaining crystals of potassium manganate(VII). Transfer the solution formed, with washings, to the volumetric flask. Repeat this process until all crystals have been dissolved and transferred to the volumetric flask. Carefully fill the flask to the calibration mark with deionised water. Stopper the flask and shake to ensure a homogeneous solution.

So would I still need to standardidise this?
    Potassium manganate(VII) is a primary standard and does not require standardising. You make up the solution to the limits of your apparatus and express the uncertainty.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 9, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.