ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths_English)
    Last one wrong I think

ReputationRep:
    You are looking for area so it is 5x + 2 times 5x+2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Last one wrong I think
    Yeah I think so as well, I don't know what it is asking me to do exactly as I haven't covered Area or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think so as well, I don't know what it is asking me to do exactly as I haven't covered Area or anything.
    Oh come on you must have done area. You do it in junior school. A room has length of 4m x 3 m. How many square metres of carpet do I need.....

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on you must have done area. You do it in junior school. A room has length of 4m x 3 m. How many square metres of carpet do I need.....

Not everyone has a good education squirrel especially when you faced constant discrimination, violence by peers and teachers alike due to disabilities.

How do I do this question?

ReputationRep:

Not everyone has a good education squirrel especially when you faced constant discrimination, violence by peers and teachers alike due to disabilities.

How do I do this question?
    But to do factorising you must have done basic area - it is one of the first lessons you learn in maths - factorising is quite difficult - loads of teenagers have a real problem with algebra.

Anyway you got the correct answer - 12

SO the garden is square - which indicates all the same size - so the answer if you follow the logic of the carpet - area is (5x+2) (5x+2) = 25x +10x+10x + 4 etc

ReputationRep:
    But to do factorising you must have done basic area - it is one of the first lessons you learn in maths - factorising is quite difficult - loads of teenagers have a real problem with algebra.

Anyway you got the correct answer - 12

SO the garden is square - which indicates all the same size - so the answer if you follow the logic of the carpet - area is (5x+2) (5x+2) = 25x +10x+10x + 4 etc
    How did you get 5x + 2 into brackets then added another one?

You have done (5x + 2)2 then expanded it and that which I do get but how did the question tell you to do (5x + 2)2 in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    How did you get 5x + 2 into brackets then added another one?

You have done (5x + 2)2 then expanded it and that which I do get but how did the question tell you to do (5x + 2)2 in the first place?
    All right - look - you have a square - it is 8 cm by 8 cm. The area is 8 x 8 = 64. Just do the same with this garden question

ReputationRep:
    All right - look - you have a square - it is 8 cm by 8 cm. The area is 8 x 8 = 64. Just do the same with this garden question
    so 5x + 2 represents 2 sides? Then the other one represents the other 2 sides so together it makes a square? Hence (5x + 2)^2?

ReputationRep:
    so 5x + 2 represents 2 sides? Then the other one represents the other 2 sides so together it makes a square? Hence (5x + 2)^2?
    (5x + 2)2 is right for the area.

now you need to remove the brackets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    (5x + 2)2 is right for the area.

now you need to remove the brackets.
    Is my trail of logic right though? 5x + 2 = 2 sides?

ReputationRep:
    Is my trail of logic right though? 5x + 2 = 2 sides?
    if a square has an edge W then the area is W*W or W2

ReputationRep:
    if a square has an edge W then the area is W*W or W2
    What?

I'm asking if 5x + 2 represents |_ and the other 5x + 2 represents --| to make a square?

ReputationRep:
    What?

I'm asking if 5x + 2 represents |_ and the other 5x + 2 represents --| to make a square?
    so the square in question has 4 sides. each side is 5x + 2.

if you need the perimeter you add them up to get 20x + 8.

if you need the area you multiply ... ( 5x + 2 )( 5x + 2 ) or if you prefer ( 5x + 2 )2
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What?

Not sure what you're asking... The 5x+2 represents the length of a single side of the square.

ReputationRep:
    so the square in question has 4 sides. each side is 5x + 2.

if you need the perimeter you add them up to get 20x + 8.

if you need the area you multiply ... ( 5x + 2 )( 5x + 2 ) or if you prefer ( 5x + 2 )2
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Not sure what you're asking... The 5x+2 represents the length of a single side of the square.
    Ok so why isn't it (5x + 2)^4 if the 5x + 2 represents only 1 side? It'd make sense if that 5x + 2 represented 2 sides.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok so why isn't it (5x + 2)^4 if the 5x + 2 represents only 1 side? It'd make sense if that 5x + 2 represented 2 sides.
    That is not how area is calculated. Area has units like \mathrm{cm^2} which means that you multiply a length by some other length (hence length squared like cm squared). If you were to multiply length by itself 4 times, like (5x+2)^4, then you would end up with something different that is \mathrm{cm^4}.

Anyway, the area of a square (or just any rectangle in general) is calculated by multiplying the length of the shape by its width.

ReputationRep:
    for a rectangle you multiply the long side by the short side.

for a square the long side and the short side are the same length.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.