Turn on thread page Beta

What to say back to people undermining you? watch

Announcements

So I used to be shy and quiet.

However there are family members saying "I don't talk" or "he doesn't communicate".

I talk to them when I see them, when they come to my house, when I go to their house.

They don't really talk to me.

In parties, social functions I'm the one who goes on my own and shakes people's hands first and also talk to other people. They see this too.

Yes I used to be very quiet, but they are putting me down now by saying "I don't talk" etc.

So what can I say back?

ReputationRep:
    Reply to them, that’s because I can’t get a word in with you.

Just don’t visit family? I presume you clearly don’t come from a white family. Family is for Christmas and special events only. The rest of the time keep yourself to yourself with close knit friends. Just talk with mum and dad the most.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you have a reserved personality then you have a reserved personality. Changing it would be wrong. As long as you are not rude there should not be a problem with it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

They say it to put me down.

Bump

ReputationRep:
    How do you know they say it to put you down? It may be a defence on their part?; that is they peceive a lack of communication between you and them, for whatever reason, and they react to that perceived situation with "you don't talk" as a way of defending themselves (because they feel uncomfortable with that situation, or feel slighted), they themselves are part of that lack of communication (communicaton or the lack of communication takes at least two parties). So they defend themselves.

Maybe if you could somehow just feel more comfortable not communicating? I'm guessing you may be a bit uncomfortable/frustrated while not communicating (so you are actually communicating something a bit negative, body laguage way), so that comes accross to them, and they feel a little slighted, back to them actually defending themselves, not first and foremost attacking you.

Just a few thoughts.

No, they are doing that to put me down.

As said in the OP, you talk to them when I see them, when I come to their house, when they come to my house.

And they see me taking to others.

6-7 years ago I was very reserved but not anymore as mentioned above I'm talking a lot in the last 4-5 years.

Also the people who say this have bullied and emotionally abused me which there is too much to put in here and will not go into detail.

Like I said, what do I say back to them?

ReputationRep:
    I know people's perception of people lags behind, and tend to stick with their idea for quite a while. Once they've formed an opinion, then what they've formed an opinion of changes, they need a lot of repeated evidence of change to change their idea.

> Like I said, what do I say back to them?

If you've changed, just be that changed self, and don't expect them to change their opinion quickly.

> the people who say this have bullied and emotionally abused me

Consider pulling back from them. Sounds like they're not so nice.

Sorry, haven't got anything more useful to say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.