The Student Room Group

Should I quit my studies? HELP!

I'm studying Computer Science and I'm in my 2nd Year 2nd Semester. This semester started horrible, however. I feel miserable. I walk to lectures and don't understand or remember anything. I really don't care anymore about anything related to IT, I feel like I'm just wasting time. I realized it's not for me. But my mom is pressuring me to finish this semester at least and then take a gap year. I don't even think I can finish this semester.Above it all, I been getting panic attacks and vomiting every time I start thinking about university and load of course work, that I probably can't do (so that's like 1-2 times per day). It's been like this for a month and a half now. I went to psychologist and she said, that it's my body's way of reacting to not following the decision I've made internally already.What should I do? I feel like I'm going insane.
Original post by LindsayLexii
I'm studying Computer Science and I'm in my 2nd Year 2nd Semester. This semester started horrible, however. I feel miserable. I walk to lectures and don't understand or remember anything. I really don't care anymore about anything related to IT, I feel like I'm just wasting time. I realized it's not for me. But my mom is pressuring me to finish this semester at least and then take a gap year. I don't even think I can finish this semester.Above it all, I been getting panic attacks and vomiting every time I start thinking about university and load of course work, that I probably can't do (so that's like 1-2 times per day). It's been like this for a month and a half now. I went to psychologist and she said, that it's my body's way of reacting to not following the decision I've made internally already.What should I do? I feel like I'm going insane.

How did you end up on this course?
What were A levels like?
Was it your choice of subject and uni?
How did you do in year 1?

Do you think its repairable? Same course different uni? i.e the problem is the uni?

The problem is the course and uni?

You need to decide whether theres any chance of rescuing and continuing, but it sounds like you just want out.

My advice is :
1. See your GP abut how you are feeling and how it affects your studies. Depression, anxiety etc. get him to write a letter.

2. See uni welfare services and make an appointment.

The reason to do this is to get in on record you have dealt with the situation.

3. Go and see your personal tutor, talk it through but explain with the letter you wish to leave.

4. They wont stop you, but they will make sure you have thought it through.

5. Fill out the official form for the uni, plus tell accommodation and sfe.

6. Leave. You could do all this in a week or less.

7. If its that bad and you are going to crash your exams then leave anyway. If you think you can pass well then take them.

8. If you are not going to use any credits or do a related degree then the exam might not matter and its neither here nor there whether you do year 2 exams.

9. The reason for doing it this way is to try and preserve finance and try to make it possible in the future to do a different course at a different uni, if you so wish. If you do not then that avenue may not be open to you.

10. Go home. chiil and have a think about life and what you wish to do. Dont back to uni unless you are sure of what you want to do and where.

11. You also need to be sure you are well enough and can prevent this happening again.

12. Dont worry. It happens all the time and you can rebuild. tell your mum not to panic.
would quit, excellent choice
Original post by 999tigger
How did you end up on this course?
What were A levels like?
Was it your choice of subject and uni?
How did you do in year 1?

Do you think its repairable? Same course different uni? i.e the problem is the uni?

The problem is the course and uni?

You need to decide whether theres any chance of rescuing and continuing, but it sounds like you just want out.

My advice is :
1. See your GP abut how you are feeling and how it affects your studies. Depression, anxiety etc. get him to write a letter.

2. See uni welfare services and make an appointment.

The reason to do this is to get in on record you have dealt with the situation.

3. Go and see your personal tutor, talk it through but explain with the letter you wish to leave.

4. They wont stop you, but they will make sure you have thought it through.

5. Fill out the official form for the uni, plus tell accommodation and sfe.

6. Leave. You could do all this in a week or less.

7. If its that bad and you are going to crash your exams then leave anyway. If you think you can pass well then take them.

8. If you are not going to use any credits or do a related degree then the exam might not matter and its neither here nor there whether you do year 2 exams.

9. The reason for doing it this way is to try and preserve finance and try to make it possible in the future to do a different course at a different uni, if you so wish. If you do not then that avenue may not be open to you.

10. Go home. chiil and have a think about life and what you wish to do. Dont back to uni unless you are sure of what you want to do and where.

11. You also need to be sure you are well enough and can prevent this happening again.

12. Dont worry. It happens all the time and you can rebuild. tell your mum not to panic.

I ended up in this course, because I wanted to try programming and I thought computer science sounds so cool and since I'm into computer games, I should be naturally good at it.... Silly me.

It was my choice to study this. My parents actually wanted me to study economics or finance (I should had listened to them, because that is what I actually want to study now).

In first year I did good, in first three semesters I did good, but only because I got a lot of help from course friends and rewriting in tests.. :frown: I only could pass English and all kinds of Math myself easy.

I feel like the problem is both the course and the uni. I don't feel good here in general. Even if I decided to study finance, I would look for a different university.
Original post by LindsayLexii
I ended up in this course, because I wanted to try programming and I thought computer science sounds so cool and since I'm into computer games, I should be naturally good at it.... Silly me.

It was my choice to study this. My parents actually wanted me to study economics or finance (I should had listened to them, because that is what I actually want to study now).

In first year I did good, in first three semesters I did good, but only because I got a lot of help from course friends and rewriting in tests.. :frown: I only could pass English and all kinds of Math myself easy.

I feel like the problem is both the course and the uni. I don't feel good here in general. Even if I decided to study finance, I would look for a different university.

Just do as I suggested.

You have an issue, which is if you just leave, then you will not have enough student finance for a new course. Following my suggestions gives you the best chance of being allowed extra finance.

When you have left take your time and think carefully where and what you wish to do.

Quick Reply

Latest