Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in Year 12 currently and aiming to go into medicine next year. I thought it might be nice to start a forum for Year 12 medics to discuss everything A Levels, to UKCAT/BMAT, work experience, etc...

Which subjects are you guys taking? Which Unis do you want to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m also in Year 12 and I’m currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and French and you? I’m not entirely sure about unis yet but I’m hoping to apply to perhaps a few of the London ones eg Imperial
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in IB1 and doing

HL Bio, Chem, Physics
    SL Math, B French, A English

I'm not sure about unis, but thinking of Imperial (and other London unis), Nottingham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham? Too many choices out there... Btw I'm an EU student

Have you started prepping for UKCAT/BMAT already? Any tips on platforms/books?

ReputationRep:
    Also, what work experience have you all done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medreams)
    Haven’t started prepping for UKCAT/BMAT and you?

I’ve done 3 days so far in a hospital, hoping to get more done over Summer, how bout you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in IB1 and doing

HL Bio, Chem, Physics

I'm not sure about unis, but thinking of Imperial (and other London unis), Nottingham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham? Too many choices out there... Btw I'm an EU student

How are you doing three sciences for IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisha917)
    How are you doing three sciences for IB?
    I'm from Finland and basically in order to apply for medical school here you need all three sciences, so you can get a special permission from IBO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicstudent2019)
    Haven’t started prepping for UKCAT/BMAT and you?

I’ve done 3 days so far in a hospital, hoping to get more done over Summer, how bout you?
    Nah I did one practise test for UKCAT but I'll probably get a medify account in summer

I've done 5 days in peds, a month in a care home, I'm also trying to get a placement for summer

ReputationRep:
    Any idea when the selection processes for the different medical schools are released???

ReputationRep:
    I have done a week in Paediatrics at my local hospital and GP placement arranged for July and currently doing volunteering in tutoring,a hospice and befriending. I wrote all about my work experience here : https://theaspiringteenmedic.wordpress.com/

(Original post by PeterHopkinson)
    Any idea when the selection processes for the different medical schools are released???
    Manchester 2019 entry has already been released but its usually around summer/late spring time I think!

ReputationRep:
    If anyones interested, theres a whats app group chat reguarding Medicine for anyone who has queries. Feel free to join. ☺
    https://chat.whatsapp.com/IDghKkhioguFUZVpkBbv0G

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in Medicine and these are my stats: GCSE: 9,8,8 8 A*s and an A, A Level Preducted- 3A*s and an A/A*, Work Experience- 7 months with Mencap, 2 years as a dance leader, 3 days with an anaesthetist, Extra Curricular- EPQ, NCS, House Captain, Run Med Soc, Dance, Athletics, Admissions Tetss- I did my first UKCAT practice yesterday and got 595 average (DM let me down a bit) and have been getting 4s in the BMAT Are my chances good?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Samanthaplague)
    I am interested in Medicine and these are my stats: GCSE: 9,8,8 8 A*s and an A, A Level Preducted- 3A*s and an A/A*, Work Experience- 7 months with Mencap, 2 years as a dance leader, 3 days with an anaesthetist, Extra Curricular- EPQ, NCS, House Captain, Run Med Soc, Dance, Athletics, Admissions Tetss- I did my first UKCAT practice yesterday and got 595 average (DM let me down a bit) and have been getting 4s in the BMAT Are my chances good?
    As long as you apply wisely and work on your UKCAT/BMAT, you’ll be in with a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I applied to medicine last year and got all four offers with high UKCAT and BMAT scores.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with!

Best of luck )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crash66)
    Hey guys!

I applied to medicine last year and got all four offers with high UKCAT and BMAT scores.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with!

Best of luck )
    Hi!

Well done, that's amazing!!

Which uni's did you apply for?

Also how did you prepare for the UKCAT and when did you take it because that's what I'm trying to decide at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested... I've got a few people on a group chat on which we can discuss anything medicine related.
    It's on snapchat atm so if you want to join, PM me your username and I can add you to the group 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracemaryxx)
    Hi!

Well done, that's amazing!!

Which uni's did you apply for?

Also how did you prepare for the UKCAT and when did you take it because that's what I'm trying to decide at the moment!
    Hey!

So I applied to UCL, Imperial, King's and Barts

I decided to take my UKCAT near the end of the summer holiday - I would really recommend getting it done before school starts so you can focus on school and personal statement!

Are you thinking of taking BMAT?

For me UKCAT revision started about a month before - I would do the medic portal questions and some from the big book lots of people get. Personally, I feel like medic portal is good to get an idea of the question style and adapt yourself to how you're going to be tested, but it's not the best tool for proper revision. The book is awful, do not buy it!

Then two weeks before I got medify - totally worth it for £35 and you get a huge question bank. Medify is perfect for practising under time conditions (which is going to be your main issue in the actual thing) and it figures out exactly what type of question you keep getting it wrong so you can refine that skill. Only issue I would say is that I found quantitative reasoning in the real thing a lot easier, but that could have been lucky questions!

Lastly, just to say that in the two weeks before my UKCAT I basically spent 4/5 hours a day on prep - this was totally not necessary! At the end of the day, the ukcat tests some basic skills that you either do/don't have, so your main aim is just to get used to the questions.

So take it easy guys, and have faith in yourself! You can do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crash66)
    Hey!

So I applied to UCL, Imperial, King's and Barts

I decided to take my UKCAT near the end of the summer holiday - I would really recommend getting it done before school starts so you can focus on school and personal statement!

Are you thinking of taking BMAT?

For me UKCAT revision started about a month before - I would do the medic portal questions and some from the big book lots of people get. Personally, I feel like medic portal is good to get an idea of the question style and adapt yourself to how you're going to be tested, but it's not the best tool for proper revision. The book is awful, do not buy it!

Then two weeks before I got medify - totally worth it for £35 and you get a huge question bank. Medify is perfect for practising under time conditions (which is going to be your main issue in the actual thing) and it figures out exactly what type of question you keep getting it wrong so you can refine that skill. Only issue I would say is that I found quantitative reasoning in the real thing a lot easier, but that could have been lucky questions!

Lastly, just to say that in the two weeks before my UKCAT I basically spent 4/5 hours a day on prep - this was totally not necessary! At the end of the day, the ukcat tests some basic skills that you either do/don't have, so your main aim is just to get used to the questions.

So take it easy guys, and have faith in yourself! You can do it
    Thank you so much!!

I've been doing some Medic Portal questions and I'm planning to get Medify in the summer holidays so I'm hoping it should all end up going well - fingers crossed!

I'm not planning to take the BMAT as the Unis I'm considering don't require it.

ReputationRep:
    I’m doing biology chemistry maths and thinking of applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracemaryxx)
    Thank you so much!!

I've been doing some Medic Portal questions and I'm planning to get Medify in the summer holidays so I'm hoping it should all end up going well - fingers crossed!

I'm not planning to take the BMAT as the Unis I'm considering don't require it.
    Amazing! You sound like you have it all under control

Which unis are you considering?

(Original post by medicstudent2019)
    Hi, I’m also in Year 12 and I’m currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and French and you? I’m not entirely sure about unis yet but I’m hoping to apply to perhaps a few of the London ones eg Imperial
    Hi, I'm in IB1 and doing

HL Bio, Chem, Physics

Also wanted to say if I can help you guys narrow down which London unis to apply for, please lmk!

I found that different unis will prioritize different strengths - some are very into high UKCAT/BMAT scores, others are more into appearance at interview... So it's important to apply to the ones which you think you have the best chance of getting into depending on what part of the application process you think you'll do best in

Good luck!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.