Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I lose body fat? watch

ReputationRep:
    ugh ive been this situation as well it’s difficult to eat healthy when your parents cook things that are unhealthy. Umm for now, make you could try going for runs and get a exercise mat and search up some exercise videos at home. I think your weight is fine at the moment but obviously if you want to lose weight you can. Maybe you could try cooking for yourself?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    just as a rough target. your time begins.... NOW
    what?! so do I walk non-stop for 20 minutes? I can't walk now but I'll do so in about an hour and a half later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    ugh ive been this situation as well it’s difficult to eat healthy when your parents cook things that are unhealthy. Umm for now, make you could try going for runs and get a exercise mat and search up some exercise videos at home. I think your weight is fine at the moment but obviously if you want to lose weight you can. Maybe you could try cooking for yourself?
    Hi, thanks for replying
    It's not that my mum cooks unhealthily, it's just that sometimes, I just don't like the stuff that she cooks and she buys a lot of junk food which I feel is bad for me.
    I will probably do what you said about the exercise videos.
    There's a huge problem. I can't cook. My parents have neglected to teach me (and I've failed to learn) such an important life skill that I don't actually know what I'll do once I get to uni. I guess it's okay if food is provided but... anyways, yeah, maybe I'll just try talking to my mum and see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    lose weight you dwarf. 17 and you are 4 ft. WOW. but anyway a good thing to do is go for a run before breakfast as it burns fat not energy u have eaten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zthomas15)
    lose weight you dwarf. 17 and you are 4 ft. WOW. but anyway a good thing to do is go for a run before breakfast as it burns fat not energy u have eaten.
    ikr!! my tall friends that I'm at a good height to use as an arm-rest when walking
    I've never thought of that!! Will try it out tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    just as a rough target. your time begins.... NOW
    you know, I went out intending to walk for 20 minutes and ended up walking for 50 minutes

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's long been shown 'starvation' diets are a really bad idea, and can damage (potentially long term) your homeostatic metabolism. Maximum body-fat loss, if someone does everything right, is around 2 lb a week. Anyone losing more than that is probably losing no more than 1 lb of body-fat. The rest of the loss being muscle mass (if no strength training to compensate), essential water and bone density. Also severe calorie restriction causes the body to go into evolutionary 'starvation mode', and preserves, and when able stores, more body-fat.

Buy some cheap body composition scales. Ignore the weight, and actual % body-fat, and % skeletal muscle, they wont be accurate. Just follow the trends. Chart in something like Excel over a running average of 7 days,(and 28 day running average for smother trend over time). Take data same time each day. Morning is best, after 'toilet', naked, pre-shower (feet need to be totally dry), pre-breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    Also, it's long been shown 'starvation' diets are a really bad idea, and can damage (potentially long term) your homeostatic metabolism. Maximum body-fat loss, if someone does everything right, is 2 lb a week. Anyone losing more than that is probably losing no more than 1 lb of body-fat. The rest of the loss being muscle mass (if no strength training to compensate), essential water and bone density. Also severe calorie restriction causes the body to go into evolutionary 'starvation mode', and preserves, and when able stores, more body-fat.

Buy some cheap body composition scales. Ignore the weight, and actual % body-fat, and % skeletal muscle, they wont be accurate. Just follow then trends, chart in something like Excel over a running average (and 28 day running average for smother trend over time). Take data same time each day. Morning is best, after 'toilet', naked, pre-shower (feet need to be totally dry), pre-breakfast.
    I knew that already, that's why I haven't tried it
    Yeah, I probably will So far, I just check in on my weight like once or twice a week.

ReputationRep:
    I think BMI is a good indicator for what is healthy. A low bf doesn't necessarily mean healthier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny.snow)
    I think BMI is a good indicator for what is healthy. A low bf doesn't necessarily mean healthier.
    In my opinion, it is a very very basic indicator for what is healthy and doesn't take into account a lot of factors that decide whether you're healthy or not.
    I agree about the body fat thing though; it's just I'd like to lose some of mine because I have quite a lot, especially around my waist and thighs.

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's long been shown 'starvation' diets are a really bad idea, and can damage (potentially long term) your homeostatic metabolism. Maximum body-fat loss, if someone does everything right, is around 2 lb a week. Anyone losing more than that is probably losing no more than 1 lb of body-fat. The rest of the loss being muscle mass (if no strength training to compensate), essential water and bone density. Also severe calorie restriction causes the body to go into evolutionary 'starvation mode', and preserves, and when able stores, more body-fat.

Buy some cheap body composition scales. Ignore the weight, and actual % body-fat, and % skeletal muscle, they wont be accurate. Just follow the trends. Chart in something like Excel over a running average of 7 days,(and 28 day running average for smother trend over time). Take data same time each day. Morning is best, after 'toilet', naked, pre-shower (feet need to be totally dry), pre-breakfast.
    sorry to annoy you again... but would you consider not eating when you're hungry as 'starvation'?

ReputationRep:
    No 'starvation dieting' usually means taking well below your calorie needs. What's called the Basal Metabolic Rate (B.M.R). This is the minimum calories your body needs just to function if it's not moving. Any thing above that could be considered the extra calories required for 'exercise', eg just standing up and walking could be considered additional exercise requiring more calories than BMR

Link - Calculate Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Also have a look through the site and forums linked in the above calculator page. Some truly great advice on diet and exercise by professionals for professional athletes (but still great advice for the regular people looking to just get in better shape and healthier).

ReputationRep:
    No 'starvation dieting' usually taking well below your calorie needs. Whats called the Basal Metabolic Rate (B.M.R) the minimum calories your body needs to just function if it's not moving, any think above that could be considered the extra calories required for 'exercise', eg just standing up and walking could be considered additional exercise requiring more calories than BMR

Link - Calculate Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Also have a look through the site and forums linked in the above calculator page. Some truly great advice on diet and exercise by professionals for professional athletes (but still great advice for the regular people looking to just get in better shape and healthier).
    oh as in skipping multiple meals
    thanks for the link :hugs: and the advice you've given me
    will browse through the link :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueBlessing)
    Hi, thanks for replying
    It's not that my mum cooks unhealthily, it's just that sometimes, I just don't like the stuff that she cooks and she buys a lot of junk food which I feel is bad for me.
    I will probably do what you said about the exercise videos.
    There's a huge problem. I can't cook. My parents have neglected to teach me (and I've failed to learn) such an important life skill that I don't actually know what I'll do once I get to uni. I guess it's okay if food is provided but... anyways, yeah, maybe I'll just try talking to my mum and see how that goes.
    I would just fully stop eating what she buys and maybe she’ll get the hint and stop buying junk food. You can always search up recipes and make them. I didn’t know how to cook when i got to uni but i started searching up recipes and now i rely on myself for cooking rather than taking what my parents cook and freezing it for later on. Maybe you should just wait until you move out for uni so that you can eat healthier and exercise more? i mean you weight is fine atm.

ReputationRep:
    you know, I went out intending to walk for 20 minutes and ended up walking for 50 minutes
    :congrats:

:creep:

that is a great start !

https://imgur.com/XJyemeI.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I would just fully stop eating what she buys and maybe she’ll get the hint and stop buying junk food. You can always search up recipes and make them. I didn’t know how to cook when i got to uni but i started searching up recipes and now i rely on myself for cooking rather than taking what my parents cook and freezing it for later on. Maybe you should just wait until you move out for uni so that you can eat healthier and exercise more? i mean you weight is fine atm.
    True... maybe I should just do that because she actually buys it for herself. It just so happens that I'm also quite greedy :yum: so maybe I'll just get rid of the junk food. I'll probably wait until uni to eat slightly healthier though...
    Thanks

:congrats:

:creep:

that is a great start !

https://imgur.com/XJyemeI.jpg
    Thanks! :woo:
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Should I also try muscle-building exercises like press-ups, squats, etc.? Would those help me to lose weight as well or will they just make me gain weight because of muscle mass?
    Squats is great for losing weight. Don't worry about building muscle mass , you won't get hench or anything. Your fat will be converted to muscle that's all. Even if you don't see weight loss , you'll definitely see inch loss which is representative of fat loss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhinair3004)
    Squats is great for losing weight. Don't worry about building muscle mass , you won't get hench or anything. Your fat will be converted to muscle that's all. Even if you don't see weight loss , you'll definitely see inch loss which is representative of fat loss
    Okay
    hench?
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! :woo:
    :lol:
    yeah that sounds good, honestly don’t worry about having to wait until uni to eat healthier, it’s best not to put a time limit on losing weight like don’t say “i have to lose weight by x” i did this and i didn’t find it helped much, just go at your own pace, good luck

ReputationRep:
    yeah that sounds good, honestly don’t worry about having to wait until uni to eat healthier, it’s best not to put a time limit on losing weight like don’t say “i have to lose weight by x” i did this and i didn’t find it helped much, just go at your own pace, good luck
    Thank you!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.