Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi so this may seem like a silly question but I really am worried as to whether there's a specific order.
    So, I'm aware with an infant, u would call for help immediately after there's no response but would u give the 5 resuscitation breaths before or after calling for help - so after or before telling the bystander to call for an ambulance?

I know this seems kinda trivial but i'm unsure as to whether I'll be marked down for wasting time telling the bystander ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MedStudentt)
    Hi so this may seem like a silly question but I really am worried as to whether there's a specific order.
    So, I'm aware with an infant, u would call for help immediately after there's no response but would u give the 5 resuscitation breaths before or after calling for help - so after or before telling the bystander to call for an ambulance?

I know this seems kinda trivial but i'm unsure as to whether I'll be marked down for wasting time telling the bystander ?
    In general no matter how trained or knowledgeable you are you are not going to be able to manage a cardiac arrest, or any very sick child outside of hospital, alone. Yes calling for help should definitely be your first thought and if there is someone else there they should be running for help absolutely!

This is what the resuscitation council say (first link when I searched 'paediatric resuscitation algorithm', btw):

When to call for assistance

It is vital for rescuers to get help as quickly as possible when a child collapses:
    When more than one rescuer is available, one (or more) starts resuscitation while another goes for assistance.

If only one rescuer is present, undertake resuscitation for about 1 min before going for assistance. To minimise interruptions in CPR, it may be possible to carry an infant or small child whilst summoning help.

The only exception to performing 1 min of CPR before going for help is in the unlikely event of a child with a witnessed, sudden collapse when the rescuer is alone and primary cardiac arrest is suspected. In this situation, a shockable rhythm is likely and the child may need defibrillation. Seek help immediately if there is no one to go for you

https://www.resus.org.uk/resuscitati...-life-support/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 9, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.