Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have I just been caught speeding? Police car was parked at the side of the road in a parking bay. I didn't see a window down or speed gun pointing out. I'm pretty sure I was doing 45-50 in a 40.

ReputationRep:
    If they were going to do you for speeding they probably would have pulled you over. Maybe avoid speeding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallstone)
    Have I just been caught speeding? Police car was parked at the side of the road in a parking bay. I didn't see a window down or speed gun pointing out. I'm pretty sure I was doing 45-50 in a 40.
    You'll be fine mate

Should be fine. The worst thing they'll be doing is checking number plates on ANPR.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys really can't afford the fine at the moment. It's going to be a long two weeks waiting to see if anything comes in the post.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks guys really can't afford the fine at the moment. It's going to be a long two weeks waiting to see if anything comes in the post.
    I don't want to sound like mother, but just don't speed next time and you'll have no fines to worry about. Going up to 10mph above the speed limit is quite a bit...

ReputationRep:
    Nope they'd have pulled you over. If you can't afford fines don't speed mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    If they were going to do you for speeding they probably would have pulled you over. Maybe avoid speeding?
    Definitely will from now on. It was a long straight wide A road, with little traffic. I only realised when I saw the police car and looked down at my speed that I drifted above the limit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Maybe stop speeding?

If a police car was going to stop you for speeding, they'd do there and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Maybe stop speeding?

If a police car was going to stop you for speeding, they'd do there and then.
    Be the goat not the sheep.

ReputationRep:
    You don’t drift 10 mph above the speed limit.... as others have said, they would have pulled you over there and then.

(Original post by Andrew97)
    You don’t drift 10 mph above the speed limit....
    Very easy to do in a modern car. Some are too refined for their own good. With no engine noise, and on a wide open piece of road, especially with a smooth auto box, your points of reference for speed are gone. The only way round it is to be fixated on the speedo.

If you want to get on your high horse about something, how about those people that don't turn their lights on when it's dark/wet, because they're used to rely on auto lights doing it for them? Or something else that's actually dangerous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Very easy to do in a modern car. Some are too refined for their own good. With no engine noise, and on a wide open piece of road, especially with a smooth auto box, your points of reference for speed are gone. The only way round it is to be fixated on the speedo.
    Most cars that are that refined also have a pretty damn large digital numerical display in front of you. You don't have to be fixating much to notice a 5 where there should be a 4...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)

If you want to get on your high horse about something, how about those people that don't turn their lights on when it's dark/wet, because they're used to rely on auto lights doing it for them? Or something else that's actually dangerous...
    That would be an argument for going 41-42 in a 40. Not 50. The stopping distance at 50mph is 175ft compared to 118ft at 40mph. So speeding is dangerous. Furthermore quite a few modern cars make a noise to alert you to your speeding.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Speed Checks like this are usually for data gathering, as well as proactive reduction of speed (i.e. you reduce your speed because you've seen a police car, not because they fine you after you've sped), and in order to fine you they would've pulled you over, which would not happen in a case like this unless it was a significant traffic offence.

source: :pig2:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.