Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I am enrolling to study History & Politics at university this autumn. The choice is between Oxford (LMH) and Edinburgh, both of which I have received offers from (and I have already received my qualifications, so that's not a concern).

Right now I'm leaning towards Oxford: it offers high quality education, is
    internationally recognized, and it's been a dream of mine for years to go there. However, I'm still really on the fence as there are a couple of things that concern me:

- It's so expensive! Since I am an EU student from outside of the UK, I wouldn't have any tuition fees to pay at Edinburgh, and since I want to pursue postgraduate study in the UK as well I'm questioning if it's worth it to spend so much money on an undergraduate degree.
    - I don't know how I feel about the city of Oxford, while I absolutely love Edinburgh. It seems student life at Oxford happens more on a "college level", or through clubs and societies, not so much individually, if you get what I mean.
    - The accommodation situation. I'm not sure I like the fact that at Oxford (or LMH, at least) you can't stay in your college accommodation over the vacations. Since I'm from Sweden, it's a little inconvenient for me to go home so often, and I am going to university in the UK because I want to live there; I feel a little like it's not worth it if I'm going to spend pretty much the same amount of time in my home town as in the UK.

I'm just really scared as well that if I don't go to Oxford I'll spend my life thinking about it. It would feel stupid to turn it down since I've been dreaming about it for so long and I've gone to so much trouble to get in. :-/

TLDR: I'm choosing between Oxford and Edinburgh for History & Politics. I'm leaning towards Oxford academically, but it seems like a much less "practical" choice than Edinburgh.

I would appreciate any advice, thoughts and insights! Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by m.g.)
    Hi everyone!

I am enrolling to study History & Politics at university this autumn. The choice is between Oxford (LMH) and Edinburgh, both of which I have received offers from (and I have already received my qualifications, so that's not a concern).

internationally recognized, and it's been a dream of mine for years to go there. However, I'm still really on the fence as there are a couple of things that concern me:

- It's so expensive! Since I am an EU student from outside of the UK, I wouldn't have any tuition fees to pay at Edinburgh, and since I want to pursue postgraduate study in the UK as well I'm questioning if it's worth it to spend so much money on an undergraduate degree.
    - I don't know how I feel about the city of Oxford, while I absolutely love Edinburgh. It seems student life at Oxford happens more on a "college level", or through clubs and societies, not so much individually, if you get what I mean.
    - The accommodation situation. I'm not sure I like the fact that at Oxford (or LMH, at least) you can't stay in your college accommodation over the vacations. Since I'm from Sweden, it's a little inconvenient for me to go home so often, and I am going to university in the UK because I want to live there; I feel a little like it's not worth it if I'm going to spend pretty much the same amount of time in my home town as in the UK.

I'm just really scared as well that if I don't go to Oxford I'll spend my life thinking about it. It would feel stupid to turn it down since I've been dreaming about it for so long and I've gone to so much trouble to get in. :-/

TLDR: I'm choosing between Oxford and Edinburgh for History & Politics. I'm leaning towards Oxford academically, but it seems like a much less "practical" choice than Edinburgh.

If Oxford is a dream and something you've always wanted to do then go for it. Yes finance is an issue but how much of an issue is the question. Then again you can go to Oxford for postgrad level study. Yes Oxford student life is very collegiate but there's nothing wrong with that and you can always travel especially over the summer when your accommodation runs out. Are you sure you can't stay over the summer?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I pretty much have the same problem, though I don't hv offers yet, but I'm conflicted between logical reasoning and my dreams. I saw a post recently on Facebook of how our dreams we didn't bring to reality would haunt our last moments on earth, the "what if", I'll advice you to strive to do what you really want to do in life.

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your situation I would probably take Oxford and run, especially if I already had the grades, as you do. Oxford as a city is very lively, I'm sure you won't be restricted to your college in terms of social life and activities. Also think about it this way: you have a guaranteed opportunity right now to go to Oxford for undergrad, and then you can choose to go to Edinburgh for postgrad if you want to experience both places, however, if you go to Edinburgh for undergrad, you're not guaranteed to get into Oxford for postgrad. As for the accommodation, perhaps get in touch with your college and find out how strict they are about kicking you out during the holidays, as they might have flexibility for students from abroad. And in terms of costs, you'll have to weigh up whether or not Oxford is worth the price (personally I'd say it is).

I'm in a similar situation myself between Cambridge and Edinburgh because of uncertainty with getting the grades, but I'm sure I'll be firming Cambridge to at least try to aim for it, and if I don't manage to then I'll still be very happy in Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    I was at Oxford a long time ago, and not at LMH, but at my college if you really needed accommodation over the vacations, a space was found. It wasn't normally in your college room so you did have to pack everything up and put it into college storage, but there was always a room available somewhere. I made quite a lot of good graduate friends by staying the college graduate accommodation during various holidays.
    There is also the option to live out in Year 2 (or make friends who live out). Renting a private house is more expensive, but you get a full year contract. As for the fees things, it's a very tough situation and I don't envy you the decision. Whatever choice you make, I'm sure it'll turn out okay.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh. Oxford isn't worth the extra debt when you can get a free ride as an EU student at Edin

ReputationRep:
    What's your opinions on the course structures and the way they are taught?? That may affect something
    Also job prospects after leaving each uni-if that is affected in any way?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by m.g.)
    Hi everyone!

Right now I'm leaning towards Oxford: it offers high quality education, is internationally recognized, and it's been a dream of mine for years to go there. However, I'm still really on the fence as there are a couple of things that concern me:

Yes the college is at the "heart" of the Oxbridge "experience" but there are university-level societies too. What clubs/societies are you interested in?

I don't know about LMH specifically but some colleges allow internationals to stay in College over vacations - sometimes in a different room. Contact LMH OXFORD and check if it's an option.

The course is the most important factor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zunnie)
    Hey, I pretty much have the same problem, though I don't hv offers yet, but I'm conflicted between logical reasoning and my dreams. I saw a post recently on Facebook of how our dreams we didn't bring to reality would haunt our last moments on earth, the "what if", I'll advice you to strive to do what you really want to do in life.
    What universities/courses are you torn between?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    What's your opinions on the course structures and the way they are taught?? That may affect something
    Also job prospects after leaving each uni-if that is affected in any way?
    Well, in terms of job prospects Oxford is ranked a lot higher than Edinburgh for world employability, although I naturally don't have first-hand experience of this . And anyway, I'm doing History & Politics so I don't know how many jobs are available for me anyway haha, but that's not a very important factor to me right now as I'm pretty sure I want to pursue postgraduate studies (although I'll need money for this, I suppose...).

As for degree structure I think both Oxford and Edinburgh offer good course modules and some degree of flexibility. As far as I've understood it Edinburgh has a little more flexibility and offer modules covering a wider geographical area, but I think Oxford has some really interesting modules as well, and perhaps it's quality over quantity? So I'm not really sure to be honest... Aldo I'm unfamiliar with the tutorial system that Oxford employs, but I think it's probably a great way to learn and develop academic thinking, and that I could get into it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.g.)
    Well, in terms of job prospects Oxford is ranked a lot higher than Edinburgh for world employability, although I naturally don't have first-hand experience of this . And anyway, I'm doing History & Politics so I don't know how many jobs are available for me anyway haha, but that's not a very important factor to me right now as I'm pretty sure I want to pursue postgraduate studies (although I'll need money for this, I suppose...).

As for degree structure I think both Oxford and Edinburgh offer good course modules and some degree of flexibility. As far as I've understood it Edinburgh has a little more flexibility and offer modules covering a wider geographical area, but I think Oxford has some really interesting modules as well, and perhaps it's quality over quantity? So I'm not really sure to be honest...
    Well which modules appeal to you more?
    Also have you visited both cities? Can you see yourself living in either one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.g.)
    Hi everyone!

Congratulations on your offers.

For Politics, Oxford is the place to go IMO. LMH has a lovely location next to Parks. I was in college accommodation on Norham Gardens, and loved it. If my net worth ever allows, I'm buying a house there (£7M+).

I visited Edinburgh with my son two years ago. Oxford is more compact, has better weather, and an international reputation that is difficult to beat. Neither is a bad choice, but, IMO, Oxford is a spectacular one.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bear in mind, Ediburgh is of the same academic calibre as Oxford - so you won't be meaningfully disadvantaged going there. The teaching styles and nature of your time there will be quite different, so this is something to reflect on - whether you prefer the supervision/tutorial style with lectures from time to time but not making up the bulk of the teaching (as I understand), writing an essay every week, vs more distributed major assignments with "discussion" style smaller group classes with typical lecture series (this is presumed, as most courses in the same vein outside of Oxbridge have a format more aligned to this).

As I understand the tutorial system, as well as being intensive workload wise, can be very stressful - more than uni is usually described by those at other institutions. While a grain of salt is to be taken with this, consider your mental and emotional fortitude, as it's not a failing by any metric to choose the course you will be fundamentally happier on, in the actual day to day reality of it. This can also affect your performance quite considerably, and a third from Oxford will carry less weight than a 2:1 or 1st from Edinburgh (and this is commenting based on friends who have achieved that and considering what they've gone onto do afterwards)

You may also want to consider what you plan to do after the course - work in business/finance? Work in other industries? Go into politics? Go into academia? For some of these, Oxford may offer a small advantage, for others they will be much the same (and in the academia route, you could well do your undergrad at Edinburgh for free, then do a hopefully funded PhD at Oxford, and get the best of both worlds!). What you plan to do after may also in some way depend on, or be influenced by, the course content - it's worth having a look at this (Oxford tends to be more obscure about this but you can find pretty clearly what types of papers are offered each year by looking at the exam regulations for the final honour school) and see if something strikes your fancy more at one or the other.

There is no wrong choice, only the wrong choice for you (which needless to say, is not necessarily the same as other people commenting on here). Do not discount the financial implications either, particularly if this is something that is going to in some manner accountable by you - it can be very stressful to be preoccupied thinking about finances and paying tuition fees etc while you're on the course and this can affect your performance (no doubt especially in such high intensity courses as Oxford).

Since you're from Sweden, of course either will probably be like summer most of the time comparatively, so at least that isn't such a concern

ReputationRep:
    Hello again!

Thank you for all your advice! I think that I have pretty much decided on Oxford; when I imagine myself at university, it's just where I see myself (although I'm still riddled with anxiety over having to make the choice lol). So now it's just a matter of filling out all these forms - the bane of my existence...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    thanks for the tag Doonesbury - m.g. we do have rooms available over the vac. I'd really recommend getting in touch with our bursary department [email protected] - they're really helpful and can help answer any questions you have

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.