Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 16k and my friend is on 11/12k a year. Would we be able to afford a flat thats roughly £700pcm? Or essentially would we be able to afford to live together Including all bills?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much you spend on other things but it's possible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you live? But you'd probably be able to afford it. Factor in council tax, bills etc it'd be £400-£500 a month max I imagine. Your friend may struggle a bit I suppose depending on his travel costs etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equitorium)
    I'm on 16k and my friend is on 11/12k a year. Would we be able to afford a flat thats roughly £700pcm? Or essentially would we be able to afford to live together Including all bills?
    It’s definitely possible, you’d just have to factor in some spending limits on food and personal items. Also helps if you find cheaper provides for internet/cable etc. Little things like that will make a world of a difference to monthly bills
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    so you have around 1.3k a month, and he has 1k.

£700 is around 30% of your combined wage.

That's pretty normal for the south of England, but its quite a lot for anywhere else.

Where is the flat? If your in the north, I would question why its so expensive. The last time I was living in the Uk, me and my wife rented a 2 bedroom flat for £525, 20 minutes outside liverpool, big beautiful old house, looking out over a massive shared garden, big kitchen etc. I don't see why we would have wanted to pay £700.. to be honest, we could have paid closer to £400 and still had something reasonable. If your down in the south though, especially london then £700 is very reasonable.

Just be careful with your bills, manage your finances well and having 30% of your combined income be rent will not be a problem. (although be aware that it disproportionately effects your friends finances, if you are splitting equally)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by equitorium)
    You need to do a bit research and see how much things like council tax in your area are. This usually paid over 10 months.

Moved to Money and Finance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    so you have around 1.3k a month, and he has 1k.

£700 is around 30% of your combined wage.

That's pretty normal for the south of England, but its quite a lot for anywhere else.

Where is the flat? If your in the north, I would question why its so expensive. The last time I was living in the Uk, me and my wife rented a 2 bedroom flat for £525, 20 minutes outside liverpool, big beautiful old house, looking out over a massive shared garden, big kitchen etc. I don't see why we would have wanted to pay £700.. to be honest, we could have paid closer to £400 and still had something reasonable. If your down in the south though, especially london then £700 is very reasonable.

Just be careful with your bills, manage your finances well and having 30% of your combined income be rent will not be a problem. (although be aware that it disproportionately effects your friends finances, if you are splitting equally)
    Hi, this is within Worcester town. Unfortunately my friend can't drive so the flat we are looking at is a 5 minute walk from his job. I believe council tax is £800 a year in that postcode too.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.