Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've never had this problem before, but I'm really struggling with a placement I've accepted.

This wasn't a placement I sought out: a farm needed help lambing and I was recommended to them, and I agreed to help. This is the first time I've been paid for a placement, so it's a bit awkward.

I'm really struggling with this lambing placement. It's all indoors, but it's so disorganised compared to other farms I've worked at and as the week has gone on I've been getting on less and less well with the farmer. Add to this I'm moving 2 hours away in less than a week....

I'm tired. Everything hurts. I've broken my phone, I've lost feeling in the fingers of one hand after having a sheep crushed the funny bone against a wall, and I'm at breaking point.

I hate giving up, and I said I would work this weekend, but I'm actually in tears at the thought of doing any more work. I'd rather not be paid for what I've done already and leave early.

What can I do? Should I just tell the farmer? Any time I've mentioned having even an afternoon off so I can pack to move he's been funny about it. Please help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just tell him you can't go any more.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been lambing before? How are things different from the other farms you've been to?

Being tired and sore are unfortunately a part of the job, no matter where you go lambing. However I could give you more advice if you say what exactly is giving you trouble? It is the lambing itself or problems with the farmer?

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your position I'd take a few hours off, get some decent food and sleep. It's easier to think once your rested (not that I'm trivialising the situation) and decide which bits your having problems with. Spring can be stressful for farmers (and farm vets) so they need all the help they can get - if you're unable to do the weekend are there other people there to help or will he be left in the lurch?

If it's problems with the farmer that's unfortunately part of the job and there will always be problem clients so use it as an opportunity to work on that. If it's problems with their lambing procedure see if you can suggest ways to make it easier - there are a dozen ways to do a task so maybe learn from their methods too.

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scitty)
    I've never had this problem before, but I'm really struggling with a placement I've accepted.

This wasn't a placement I sought out: a farm needed help lambing and I was recommended to them, and I agreed to help. This is the first time I've been paid for a placement, so it's a bit awkward.

I'm really struggling with this lambing placement. It's all indoors, but it's so disorganised compared to other farms I've worked at and as the week has gone on I've been getting on less and less well with the farmer. Add to this I'm moving 2 hours away in less than a week....

I'm tired. Everything hurts. I've broken my phone, I've lost feeling in the fingers of one hand after having a sheep crushed the funny bone against a wall, and I'm at breaking point.

I hate giving up, and I said I would work this weekend, but I'm actually in tears at the thought of doing any more work. I'd rather not be paid for what I've done already and leave early.

What can I do? Should I just tell the farmer? Any time I've mentioned having even an afternoon off so I can pack to move he's been funny about it. Please help.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I had a very similar experience last year when I went lambing somewhere in December. Placement was a nightmare from start to finish. The farmer was absolutely horrible, animal welfare was an absolute disgrace and I spent every waking moment wanting to leave. That was my seventh placement so not exactly like I didn't know what to expect.

I ended up leaving of my own accord one night. It was awkward because I was miles from the nearest station and didn't drive, so this meant walking for hours at night time to reach a town from which I could take a coach. I left a note on the counter explaining my departure but never spoke to the farmer again in person. I took my SIM card out of my phone for a while so avoid her trying to contact me, but when I put it back I had texts from the other (downtrodden ) farm workers asking if I'd got back ok.

I'm not saying that leaving this way was the most honourable thing to do, but at the end of the day you have to value yourself and realise that you don't owe this to the farmer and that your wellbeing is more important than the money.

Have you spoken to the farmer about the specific problems? I'm assuming yes, but if they're working on a different part of the farm they may be genuinely aware of the disorganisation. If you can think of any (cheap) ways to increase efficiency then I would politely mention them.

If this isn't possible then please don't feel bad about having to leave. It sounds like you're having a really bad time and the farmer clearly does not respect you. It's awkward for you both I know, but if people leave like this then the farmer will learn to start treating people with respect. I know you're not a person to kick up a fuss over nothing. Lambing is fantastic, yes you will almost always be exhausted and sleep deprived and tensions will be frayed because of this, but if you are with decent people then this won't matter. In my experience it's often too optimistic to expect that things will get better in these scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for getting back to me, guys.

I've been lambing twice before, so knew what to expect. I would argue where I first did lambing was probably harder work, as we were out in all weathers from 6am to whatever time in the evening, whereas this at least is indoors, but just the sheer chaos, the lack of space for the animals, being blamed for things entirely out of my hands (I'm not sure I can choose when a ewe decides to go into labour...) is making things difficult. I've worked with farmers losing half a herd of cattle during TB checks 3 weeks before Christmas market and still never experienced blood pressure quite as high as this haha.

I've managed to sort it now. Agreed to work this weekend so that the other farm workers get a break, but stopping after that. They seemed a bit more ready to negotiate once I told them I was leaving. I just always feel bad and like a let down if I don't enjoy a work experience placement, even though you can never have a perfect time at every one. That and the other farm workers are so nice, I don't want to let them down.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.