Turn on thread page Beta

Should I write my story as a fanfiction or an original fiction? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about this for a while now. I would like to be a full-time writer in the future, which means that I definitely have to start writing original fiction once.

But I've already begun to develop a fanfiction (though I haven't written anything down yet), and I'm afraid that I will use up all of my good ideas if I go for it. I'm also afraid that it would contain so much unoriginal content that I won't be able to have it published later.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by soso112)
    I'm afraid that I will use up all of my good ideas if I go for it.
    This can go one of two ways:

You have hundreds of good ideas, put them into a fanfiction and your story is far too convoluted
    You only have a few good ideas, put them all in and can never come up with anything else

Neither is ideal. But if you are genuinely concerned with using up all your good ideas I recommend working on that. Ideas are cheap and while it may not be easy to come up with ideas, the whole "I'm going to use up all my ideas" line of thinking is not healthy for a writer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This can go one of two ways:

You have hundreds of good ideas, put them into a fanfiction and your story is far too convoluted
    You only have a few good ideas, put them all in and can never come up with anything else

Neither is ideal. But if you are genuinely concerned with using up all your good ideas I recommend working on that. Ideas are cheap and while it may not be easy to come up with ideas, the whole "I'm going to use up all my ideas" line of thinking is not healthy for a writer
    I guess you're right. Thing is, I'm concerned about using all of my ideas because I intend my work to be rather long and extensive. I definitely will use up many of my ideas.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by soso112)
    I guess you're right. Thing is, I'm concerned about using all of my ideas because I intend my work to be rather long and extensive. I definitely will use up many of my ideas.
    That's not really how ideas work though. There isn't a finite number of ideas you can generate. Ideas are infinite, if you used up a lot of the ones you'd thought up already you simply think up more. Even long and extensive works will suffer from introducing too many ideas, there's a real limit to how much you can put in a work before people get too confused or lose interest. Likewise there are plenty of large works (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter) that have huge universes built around them and continue to grow. But there's a big difference between creating a universe and writing fanfiction. Don't get too bogged down in this stuff now though, it makes little sense to worry about running out of ideas before you've even written anything down

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.