Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Double science? How does it work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused, how does Double Science work...
    So if you achieved a B in Biology and Chemistry for example and then got an F in Physics what would the grade be... Like I generally don't understand it
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by bethf6769)
    I'm really confused, how does Double Science work...
    So if you achieved a B in Biology and Chemistry for example and then got an F in Physics what would the grade be... Like I generally don't understand it
    If it hasn't changed grading wise from the time I sat my GCSE's. You'll get two GCSE's in science. They're the combination of your results in each of the three sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

What exam board is it for?

ReputationRep:
    All three papers have an equal weighting with an ISA that's about 15% of the overall mark. I don't know what the actual grade would be, but I know an F would jeopardise the overall grade despite the two B's. So if I were you, just work hard to get a good grade in all three of them.

You'll sit a paper in each of the Sciences (which you've clearly grasped already) and get a Core Science GCSE in Year 10 and Additional Science in Year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    If it hasn't changed grading wise from the time I sat my GCSE's. You'll get two GCSE's in science. They're the combination of your results in each of the three sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

What exam board is it for?
    Edexcel
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Edexcel
    And it's for Combined Science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    And it's for Combined Science?
    Think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    All three papers have an equal weighting with an ISA that's about 15% of the overall mark. I don't know what the actual grade would be, but I know an F would jeopardise the overall grade despite the two B's. So if I were you, just work hard to get a good grade in all three of them.

You'll sit a paper in each of the Sciences (which you've clearly grasped already) and get a Core Science GCSE in Year 10 and Additional Science in Year 11.
    Science and Additional Sciences no longer exist as GCSEs and the system has all changed. The OP is asking about the new 9-1 Combined Science GCSE (worth 2 GCSEs).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Science and Additional Sciences no longer exist as GCSEs and the system has all changed. The OP is asking about the new 9-1 Combined Science GCSE (worth 2 GCSEs).
    I see. Sorry OP, my bad.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There are no individual grades for the different Sciences. They will juut add the marks up from the different papers and allocate you an overall grade compose of 2 number, e.g. 4 4, 6 5, 8,7, based on that overall mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    I see. Sorry OP, my bad.
    This year is the first year of the new system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    This year is the first year of the new system.
    Tbh I'm just glad I'm not OP and sitting these new GCSEs. The system just seems so confusing.

Mind you, we still have letters in Wales so it wouldn't make a difference to me I suppose.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Think so
    Each exam has an equal weighting (16.67%) and so they'll all combine and give you your GCSE in Combined Science This obviously gives some give if you're a bit better in say Biology and Chemistry but worse in Physics

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.