Turn on thread page Beta

Employment for Postgraduate law students from India watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently pursuing my LLM degree and had been attending various fairs in which I was informed that I am not eligible for training contracts since I had completed my law degree in India. In order for me to obtain a training contract, do I have to complete an LPC degree or do I need to complete GDL? or is it enough if I have an LLM degree from the U.K?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Navneeth92)
    I am currently pursuing my LLM degree and had been attending various fairs in which I was informed that I am not eligible for training contracts since I had completed my law degree in India. In order for me to obtain a training contract, do I have to complete an LPC degree or do I need to complete GDL? or is it enough if I have an LLM degree from the U.K?
    You need to contact the SRA who assess your Indian degree and see which arts of it (if any) they will accept as being equivalent. They will then ask you to take any subjects that you are missing under the GDL and then if you wish to qualify as a lawyer you will then need to do the LPC (solicitor). Depending what your LLM is in then it is likely t have no relevance at all for legal progression in this context.
    For solicitors you will then need to find a TC, but as an Indian you wont have the right to work in the UK/ EU and you will need to find a firm to sponsor you. Firms are required to look within the EU first and it also costs them extra to sponsor someone, so you need to either be very bright, lucky or have contacts or special skills.

It is very competitive, so do not underestimate this.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.