Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people not think about the consequences when getting drunk watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    Not anyone who drinks anyone who is drunk. If your drunk many changes can happen. Just look what science has to say. Loss of speech, not being aware etc..

Anyone who is drunk increases chances of doing something severe
    So you would ban getting drunk?
    Any amount of alcohol can change behaviour, so your only way out is to ban it altogether.

Do you hang around at uni telling all your fellow students of the evils of drink?

Maybe you would get far more arrests and unhappy people that way.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    No I am saying people need to be careful. Being drunk can have devastating consequences
    In the 1920's, the U.S. discovered prohibition does not work.

A ban on alcohol caused more people to die through bootlegging and turf wars than having it licenced and controlled.

It caused a fundamental shift in the way people viewed authority, the court system and wealth. It led to the rise of criminal gangs, mobsters, inter-gang wars and notorious criminals.

Illegal drinking establishments flourished. In Chicago alone there were an estimated 7000+ 'speak easies', doctors prescribed medicinal alcohol, pharmacies applied for alcohol licences, counterfeit prescriptions became normal. Bribery and corruption ran riot. Prohibition Bureau Agents were effectively handed a licence to print money. Impure products flooded the market with countless fatalities, blindness and poisonings.

Compared to that consequence, a few drunk people letting off steam or doing a few stupid things, is a walk in the park.

Be careful what you wish for,

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what the OP's point is, ban drink? Make drunkenness illegal?

ReputationRep:
    They don't know they do. This country does not treat drink drivers as murderers. In fact from my experience of those I know and from other people's experiences who have been victim. The guilty was only given a 2 year driving ban at most I heard was 3 years sentence
    What? What about the crime of Death by dangerous driving, or manslaughter. Are you serious here or are you trolling
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by barneywherry)
    What? What about the crime of Death by dangerous driving, or manslaughter. Are you serious here or are you trolling
    I think in the wake of the sentencing (later this month) for the M1 crash that caused eight deaths by both careless driving (Wagstaff) and dangerous driving (Masierak), the countrywide and global public backlash will demand sentencing guidelines must be amended to reflect the impact of the crimes.

Currently Wagstaff is facing the maximum 5 years for death by carless driving. He pleaded guilty before trial and his sentence can be reduced by up to 20 months, meaning he could be out on parole after just 20 months. That's just 4 months for each person killed in the crash.

Masierak will likely get the full 14 years for causing death by dangerous driving since he pleaded not guilty. Even so, he can be out on parole after six and a half years since he has spent six months on remand. That's still 10 months for each person killed.

ReputationRep:
    Whether I am at work or university all I hear is people saying they 'can't wait till get drunk this weekend.'

I don't care what people do but these things people do so casually without taking into account the consequences.

For example, the amount of rapes, drink driving incidents, physical attacks etc that happen when drunk.

How can someone live knowing that because they were drunk they smashed a guy in the eye socket and now he is blind (just an example)

How can someone live knowing that they raped/ran someone over?
    Unrelated, but my uncle who was a bouncer had a glass smashed into his eye and lost his sight in that eye. The guy who done it was drunk.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whether I am at work or university all I hear is people saying they 'can't wait till get drunk this weekend.'

I don't care what people do but these things people do so casually without taking into account the consequences.

For example, the amount of rapes, drink driving incidents, physical attacks etc that happen when drunk.

How can someone live knowing that because they were drunk they smashed a guy in the eye socket and now he is blind (just an example)

How can someone live knowing that they raped/ran someone over?
    So what do propose then?

ReputationRep:
    Another 18 year old meff that has never had a drink thinking they know the ways of the world.

ReputationRep:
    People are stupid. That’s all. They’re just not conscious on what they’re doing so they act like they don’t care what happens and only look for fun..

ReputationRep:
    If they aren't conscious of a given thing then they aren't acting like they don't care, they actually cannot care.

ReputationRep:
    What I was trying to say is that when people want to drink they usually want it because they are looking for fun. At first sight they only see the good part of drinking, the fact that they are more happy and enjoy more a party or whatever when they have drunk. But it is true that there’s a point then where they can’t control themselves. Nevertheless, I think before they decide to do it, most people aren’t conscious on what the consequences could be if they exceed a limit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that is true. You could reasonably argue that some people do not know, but extending that to 'most' is demonstrably false given that most people that drink do not fall into some catatonic state.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.