Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My application to LSE was unsuccessful as I had not "undertaken any recognised or relevant formal academic study within the last three years."

In 2013 I started my own business, as of recent I outsource some work to graduates, ironic.

If this is an enforced policy by LSE surely they do not have many mature students as most adults are working... Often to save up so they can pursue their further education at some stage. It seems discriminatory.

Cant go to University?

Get a job and save up!

Now get rejected for working instead of studying within a time period equivalent to achieving a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caveatcashmere)
    My application to LSE was unsuccessful as I had not "undertaken any recognised or relevant formal academic study within the last three years."

In 2013 I started my own business, as of recent I outsource some work to graduates, ironic.

If this is an enforced policy by LSE surely they do not have many mature students as most adults are working... Often to save up so they can pursue their further education at some stage. It seems discriminatory.

Cant go to University?

Get a job and save up!

Now get rejected for working instead of studying within a time period equivalent to achieving a degree.
    Many mature students study while working full time and having domestic commitments as well. This is by no means unusual, and it's not an unreasonable expectation from LSE that applicants should be able to provide evidence of recent successful study in a relevant field.

ReputationRep:
    I'm running my own business (admittedly one that doesn't require absurd amounts of work) and completing a HE Diploma. Got into 4/5 of my choices so far. University is a very different change of pace, it's understandable to me that they'd want evidence that you're actually capable of study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Many mature students study while working full time and having domestic commitments as well. This is by no means unusual, and it's not an unreasonable expectation from LSE that applicants should be able to provide evidence of recent successful study in a relevant field.
    You would assume running a business would constitute to something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    I'm running my own business (admittedly one that doesn't require absurd amounts of work) and completing a HE Diploma. Got into 4/5 of my choices so far. University is a very different change of pace, it's understandable to me that they'd want evidence that you're actually capable of study.
    I do understand that, just seems impertinent.

They have evidence that I am academically able from my A-level results, admittedly a while ago. I am sure you are aware that running a business is no walk in the park, many people go to university to understand it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's due to the level of study and doing some education before shows you can cope with it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ure-Applicants

Their website pretty clearly describes the requirements for having completed formal academic study in clear detail. LSE's degrees are necessarily academic, not vocational, despite business being an ostensibly vocational environment.

They need to know you will be able to cope with the academic requirements of the course, which will invariably include three or more, three hour written exams at the end of every year, numerous essays and problem sets through the academic year, and (usually) a formal academic research dissertation in your final year.

Running a business, while admirable and demonstrates many useful transferable skills, does not demonstrate your ability to undertake formal academic assessments which is a core part of an LSE degree (and in fact, every degree, to some extent), which is a key requirement they need to assess in any application.

You may wish to pursue an Access to HE course, taking some OU modules, or taking A-levels as an external candidate, and reapplying in the coming years. Equally given you are running a business successfully, a degree may be unnecessary in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ure-Applicants

Their website pretty clearly describes the requirements for having completed formal academic study in clear detail. LSE's degrees are necessarily academic, not vocational, despite business being an ostensibly vocational environment.

They need to know you will be able to cope with the academic requirements of the course, which will invariably include three or more, three hour written exams at the end of every year, numerous essays and problem sets through the academic year, and (usually) a formal academic research dissertation in your final year.

Running a business, while admirable and demonstrates many useful transferable skills, does not demonstrate your ability to undertake formal academic assessments which is a core part of an LSE degree (and in fact, every degree, to some extent), which is a key requirement they need to assess in any application.

You may wish to pursue an Access to HE course, taking some OU modules, or taking A-levels as an external candidate, and reapplying in the coming years. Equally given you are running a business successfully, a degree may be unnecessary in any case.
    I did a Law degree before starting my business, one year into it I had an accident at the university forcing me to leave.
    Now fortunate enough to now have the privilege of going back and obtaining a law degree. LSE are the only university to decline me out of 5.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I did a Law degree before starting my business, one year into it I had an accident at the university forcing me to leave.
    Now fortunate enough to now have the privilege of going back and obtaining a law degree. LSE are the only university to decline me out of 5.
    You started your business in 2013 though.

(Original post by http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Information-for-Mature-Applicants)
    For all applicants, including mature applicants, we look for evidence of relevant, recent, study indicating the ability and the motivation to study at a demanding level. ... Recent means completed within three years of your proposed programme start date (ie, for 2017 entry, no earlier than 2014)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    You started your business in 2013 though.
    Having that time constraint is silly

ReputationRep:
    And you will not be alone in that.

LSE having the number of applicants it has, it can afford to be picky. You have two choices: do something that enables you to comply with their entry criteria and apply again, or go to one of the unis that has made you an offer.

Of course, reapplyng even when you meet the headline criteria does not guarantee success.

ReputationRep:
    I do have some sympathy for you. Yes it's not an ideal situation mature students such as us are in, however consider my position. I have 11 years professional legal experience dealing with the law however, I was not naive enough to believe this would provide me with entry into an exceptional University. I contacted all of the Universities I was interested in joining, explained my current situation and all of them advised me the same - they wanted to see evidence of recent academic study.

I'm so glad that I have taken an Access to HE course, its prepared me in a manner I could not have imagined. If you have the passion, drive and academic ability, you can get in to LSE. I have sat the UGAA this year for Law entry into LSE so it can be done! If you have offers elsewhere - congratulations! If however LSE was your dream, take a year out, get some recent study under your belt and re-apply

ReputationRep:
    I had the exact same response from University of Edinburgh. I was told that they didn't even look at the rest of my application because I last studied in 2013 which is >3 years ago.

This is despite obtaining professional accountancy qualifications via exams in the last three years, which I thought would have counted.

I guess some universities are very picky!

ReputationRep:

Cant go to University?

Get a job and save up!

They don't teach the basics so if you don't know the basics then how you meant to pass at a difficult level?

ReputationRep:
    I was in a somewhat similar situ a few years ago when returning to study and after an initial refusal had to show recent study. See here's the thing, I REALLY didn't have to do a lot, I did a few short OU modules and free online courses not even remotely related to the field I wanted to study and that was enough...I just had to show i'd been getting my study skills back up under my own motivation, getting used to exams, researching and having my writing peer reviewed and such.

I'm in my 2nd year now and I can see why they think this way, previous qualifications get you past the ACADEMIC entry criteria, and working experience helps fill out gaps, but they will always want to see evidence of current study skills and commitment from mature students especially. I can only speak for my uni, but we were thrown right into the deep end, scientific standard reports issued first day and exams started second week. We were v much expected to already have the specific study skills to effectively research and work on our own.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.