Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I saw a similar thread about computing A-Level a few days back and thought I'd make one about physics.

I am currently in year 13 doing the AQA course.

This is an opportunity for prospective A-level students considering doing physics to find out more about the course and what it's really like.

Oh, and any current physics students, feel free to provide your input whenever.

So shoot!

ReputationRep:
    Lemme just bump this real quick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radioactivedecay)
    Lemme just bump this real quick.
    How do you deal with hard past papers? I done a mock and the paper was so hard so I think I might be dropped if I do bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    How do you deal with hard past papers? I done a mock and the paper was so hard so I think I might be dropped if I do bad.
    Good question! The main difference between GCSE and A-level physics is that lot of GCSE is memorising and linear learning. However, a level requires a lot more flexibility and in-depth understanding of the topics because all the questions use very familiar concepts wrapped in unfamiliar packaging. The best thing you can do is understand the topic as best as you can and then everything else will come naturally. I certainly struggled at first with past papers in physics because they were so unfamiliar but the harder the papers that you do are the better it is because then you would have learnt more than if you just knew everything. It's like my teacher always says the hardest bit in physics is coming up with the right equations and then solving them is really easy so just keep going at it and you'll eventually get there I promise!

ReputationRep:
    I saw a similar thread about computing A-Level a few days back and thought I'd make one about physics.

This is an opportunity for prospective A-level students considering doing physics to find out more about the course and what it's really like.

So shoot!
    how much of the course is on electricity - i absolutely hate it :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xephyrr_)
    how much of the course is on electricity - i absolutely hate it :/
    A whole section of the course is just electricity, done at AS for me and no electricity at A2. I wont lie to you, electricity is one of the hardest part in my course alongside fields and it definitely takes a while and alot of mistakes and wrong answers to wrap your head around it all, however, if you're willing to put in the effort and practice it alot, it eventually becomes natural. It does require some resilience though.

ReputationRep:
    Good question! The main difference between GCSE and A-level physics is that lot of GCSE is memorising and linear learning. However, a level requires a lot more flexibility and in-depth understanding of the topics because all the questions use very familiar concepts wrapped in unfamiliar packaging. The best thing you can do is understand the topic as best as you can and then everything else will come naturally. I certainly struggled at first with past papers in physics because they were so unfamiliar but the harder the papers that you do are the better it is because then you would have learnt more than if you just knew everything. It's like my teacher always says the hardest bit in physics is coming up with the right equations and then solving them is really easy so just keep going at it and you'll eventually get there I promise!
    Thanks. I just hope that I’m not dropped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Thanks. I just hope that I’m not dropped.
    I doubt they'll drop you. Your teachers do appreciate the fact that it's a difficult subject and wont expect it to click with everyone immediately.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'll drop you. Your teachers do appreciate the fact that it's a difficult subject and wont expect it to click with everyone immediately.
    Yeah I just hope they consider that.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm choosing A-Level Physics Here goes...
    How much of the course overlaps with chemistry A-Level (if doing Chem)?
    Favourite/least favorite modules?
    Would you say girls do just as well as boys, better or worse in Physics?
    Any useful places for revision (obvs past papers too!) for Physics (questions/apps)?
    How big is the jump from GCSE?
    How much self teaching/independant learning is there?
    What are you thinking of doing in future (with Phys)?
    Thanks, Grace

ReputationRep:
    Is your Physics book full of Errrors?

I'm doing OCR A-level physics and every 20-30 pages there's a mistake somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    One good piece of advice would be to read each question carefully when you get to the stage of past papers.

At A-Level, there is a lot more depth to questions so be sure to carefully read questions and take a few seconds to digest each piece of information.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm considering doing it next year and wondered:
    What do you find most interesting (generally) in the course?
    Is there any astrophysics in it?
    Which other a-levels do you do?

So shoot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)

I'm doing OCR A-level physics and every 20-30 pages there's a mistake somewhere.

Haha the aqa ones are very bad. Printing errors, annoying rounding in the answers and no friggin worded answers at back of book.

Why ask a question and not give me a model answer. Yes i could ask my teacher but i want to know the exam board approved answers and not have to wait until i next see my teacher.

And theres no god damn content for the optional modules in the aqa OUP textbooks. Because that was a brilliant idea. Lets leave out the optional modules that the students will have half an exam paper on. Its not like they were on the spec or anything because thats just absurd.*sarcasm intended*

Other than that i love physics *no sarcasm intended*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)

In the aqa course u have the opportunity to do astrophysics as optional module. Im currently doing it and its really interesting.

I love the mechanics section mainly cus i do a ton of maths and that but overlaps the most and u can easily see practical applications.

ReputationRep:

This. I do OCR A Physics too, in Y12, and the textbook is riddled with errors and degeneracy.

ReputationRep:
    I did the AQA physics AS course and dropped it at the end of year 12. A serious salute to all those who take it to year 13 - true geniuses :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceeButler)
    Hello! I'm choosing A-Level Physics Here goes...
    How much of the course overlaps with chemistry A-Level (if doing Chem)?
    Favourite/least favorite modules?
    Would you say girls do just as well as boys, better or worse in Physics?
    Any useful places for revision (obvs past papers too!) for Physics (questions/apps)?
    How big is the jump from GCSE?
    How much self teaching/independant learning is there?
    What are you thinking of doing in future (with Phys)?
    Thanks, Grace
    Hi Grace,
    Thanks for your questions I'm gonna number my answers according to your questions above:
    1) There is some overlap but not a lot. For instance thermodynamics in physics has some overlap with the thermo section in chemistry, however the chemistry section goes more in depth by discussing entropy and some other stuff. Having done both subjects at AS, there are frequent instances where knowing something in one course helps with the other, even though you dont need to know it. Ultimately I think it depends on the specification and the exam board you do.
    2) Favourite sections are definetly mechanics and gravitational and electric fields, simply because of the vaaast types of questions they can ask about them. Least favourite is either the practicals ( I have to memorize 12 of them) or the measurements and errors section as it can be very tricky.

3)Honestly, it really doesnt matter if you're a boy or girl because ultimately effort and outcome are directly proportional. Sure, being a bit natural with numbers and being a critical thinker helps, but as long as you enjoy what you're doing and put in the effort, you can easily succeed.

4)useful places:
    Physicsandmathstutor.com
    Revisely.co.uk
    Cracksatphysics.com
    5) there is a considerable jump, as everything is no longer just memorizing and spitting out facts, but again, effort leads to result, you just gotta make sure you stay on top of each topic and not get overwhelmed.
    5)quite a bit. There are alot of bits where I dont initially understand a topic, so I have make sure I do about 2 hours a day with rest days here and then.
    6)really not sure, some sort of engineering or physics degree.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    What I find most interesting is finding out the fundamentals of how things work. Topics like the wave-particle duality of light and relativity are quite interesting imo.

There is some 'astro' in the main course but your school can choose for their optional section to do the astrophysics unit, which goes quite in depth and is what Im currently doing.
    I also do maths and further maths and did chemistry AS

ReputationRep:

Naa, I do AQA and I can remember only one instance where the book was wrong.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.